How Does Mass Affect the Acceleration and Distance Traveled by Falling Objects?

In summary, a penny with mass of 3.1 grams is dropped from a skyscraper of height 1250 meters. After 5 seconds, it has an acceleration of 9.81N/kg. If a penny with mass 2.5 grams is dropped at this point, it will travel a further 2000 meters before hitting the ground.
Ilovepysics

Homework Statement

A penny with mass of 3.1 grams is dropped from skyscrapper of height 1250m. Find the objects acceleration after 5 secs. If a penny with mass 2.5g is dropped at this point how far does it travel before the first penny hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations; f=ma.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any additionally information for the problem? The question is stated in such a manner that it leads me to believe there should be some air resistance. If there is no air resistance, the penny will accelerate at a constant rate of 9.81N/kg.

Remember Galileo's experiment (assuming no air or other resistance).

Two objects dropped from the same distance will fall for the same amount of time regardless of its mass.

So how long does it take penny A to hit the ground?

After you figure that out, how long is penny B falling before penny A hits the ground?
(hint: penny B is dropped 5s after penny A)

After you figure that out, how far does penny B fall in that amount of time?

Hope this helps!

@ Sandy.bridge - yes that is all the information given. So assuming air resistance is negligible the first penny has an accceleration of 9.81N/kg??

What about the second penny?>>> If a penny with mass 2.5g is dropped at this point how far does it travel before the first penny hits the ground?

Take note of the remark LabGuy330 stated.

Thanks labguy!

But how can I find how long it takes penny A to hit the ground if I don't have value for v?
Can I use. d= vit + 1/2 at^2 and make vi=0?

Ilovepysics said:
Thanks labguy!

But how can I find how long it takes penny A to hit the ground if I don't have value for v?
Can I use. d= vit + 1/2 at^2 and make vi=0?

You do have a value for v (actually vi). It is zero! That is, it starts at rest.

Thanks all! I worked it out using d= vit + 1/2 at^2.
-Found time it took penny A to reach hit ground ~15 secs.
-Time for penny B is 15 + 5 secs= 20s
-Then using d= vit + 1/2 at^2 found how far penny B lands. 2000m.
Can someone please verify if this is correct??

It seems your rounding is way off ... the time for penny A is closer to 16 secs.
Also, the problem isn't asking how long it take penny B to hit the ground (it would take the same amount of time as penny A). Rather, it is asking how far penny B falls before penny A hits the ground. (Besides, it can't fall more than 1250 m, so 2000 m can't be right)

I tried labguys approach by finding the time and such. Should I go about it differently? If so how?

1) Determine the time it takes for Penny A to reach the ground from the time it is dropped
2) 5 seconds later Penny B is dropped, so find out how much time is left for Penny A to reach the ground
3) How far does Penny B travel in that time?

just a hint : the second penny travels for 16-5 seconds...
do the math now !

Penny B travels 605 m . Got it! thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Related to How Does Mass Affect the Acceleration and Distance Traveled by Falling Objects?

1. What is kinematics in the context of the MCAT?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In the context of the MCAT, kinematics problems typically involve analyzing the motion of objects in one, two, or three dimensions.

2. How do I approach solving MCAT kinematics problems?

The key to solving MCAT kinematics problems is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This involves identifying the variables given, determining which kinematic equations to use, and plugging in the known values to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the most common kinematic equations used in MCAT problems?

The most commonly used kinematic equations in MCAT problems are the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in one, two, and three dimensions. These equations involve variables such as time, initial and final positions, initial and final velocities, and acceleration.

4. How do I know which kinematic equation to use in a given problem?

The kinematic equations used in MCAT problems depend on the information given in the problem. For example, if the problem provides initial and final positions and time, the displacement equation should be used. If the problem provides initial and final velocities and time, the velocity equation should be used.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving MCAT kinematics problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip for solving MCAT kinematics problems is to draw a diagram to visualize the motion of the object. This can help identify which variables are known and which are unknown. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice using different kinematic equations and understanding how they relate to each other to solve for various variables.