1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of the object, distance, kinematic coefficient

1. Apr 3, 2017 #1
    Hello guys. i know i shouldnt be doing this, but im asking you if you can help me with a problem for my younger sister, because my major is something else (biology, genetics) and she need this and doesn't know how to solve it..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At an upper end of the slope inclined at 30°, the object stopped at 3,00kg started to slip and then 1,50 seconds, slides down a distance of 2,00m. Find the acceleration of the object, the distance between the object and the slope , kinematic friction coefficient, frictional force acting on the object , 2,00 m, then find the velocity of the object.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2017 #2
    If you can clarify the problem statement:
    I understand, there is a sloped surface at an angle inclined 30 degrees above horizontal. There is a mass of 3.00 kg. The box slides down 2.00m and takes 1.5 seconds to do so. Can we assume they are increasing the mass, it was static and not moving as they were increasing mass? Then we can mind Fstatic(max). Then we find what you need to know.

you need to know:

coefficient of kinematic friction
    force of friction
    and the velocity at t=1.5s
    ???

First: I will help you, as we aren't supposed to solve H/W haha? but in the mean time I'll work it out (I'm bored).

Here's a site that will help, IT DOESN'T include any slope, but can show the relationship between Fs and Fk. Break the question down into vector components ie

Fnormal = mg (sin or cos) (30 or 60)

http://www.pstcc.edu/departments/natural_behavioral_sciences/Web Physics/Experiment 05web.htm

4. Apr 3, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We don't allow posts here with schoolwork problems where you show no effort. Please use the hints provided in the reply above, and re-post in the Introductory Physics Homework forum. Fill out that Template completely, including the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a solution.

This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook