Kinematics of a falling object to hit target

In summary: In this case, there is a constant acceleration due to the motion of the plane.In summary, the bomb must be released at a distance of 2.7 kilometers from the target in order to hit it.
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

An airplane flies horizontally with a speed of 300m/s at an altitude of 300m. Assume the ground is level. At what horizontal distance from a target must the pilot release a bomb as to hit the target?

Answer: 2.7km

Homework Equations

a=v/t=d/t2
r_f = r_i + v_i*t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried approaching this question using a kinematics equation and just the basic a=v/t approach...

a=v/t=d/t2
t = sqrt( 2 * d / g ) = 9s
d(horizontal) = vt = (300)(9) = 2.7km

Using the quadratic equation to find t = 62.5s
d(horizontal) = (300)(62.5) = 18.7km

Why can I not use the kinematics equation to approach this problem?
In general, how do I know whether its appropriate to approach a problem using kinematics vs. the "basic" equations (a=v/t; v=d/t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

An airplane flies horizontally with a speed of 300m/s at an altitude of 300m. Assume the ground is level. At what horizontal distance from a target must the pilot release a bomb as to hit the target?

Answer: 2.7km

Homework Equations

a=v/t=d/t2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried approaching this question using a kinematics equation and just the basic a=v/t approach...

a=v/t=d/t2
t = sqrt( 2 * d / g ) = 9s
d(horizontal) = vt = (300)(9) = 2.7km

Using the quadratic equation to find t = 62.5s
d(horizontal) = (300)(62.5) = 18.7km

Why can I not use the kinematics equation to approach this problem?
In general, how do I know whether its appropriate to approach a problem using kinematics vs. the "basic" equations (a=v/t; v=d/t)?

For one thing, the vertical velocity of the bomb is not constant, so how do you calculate a = v/t?

And another thing. You haven't calculated the correct free-fall time of this bomb when it is dropped from an altitude of 300 m. Check your arithmetic again.

SteamKing said:
For one thing, the vertical velocity of the bomb is not constant, so how do you calculate a = v/t?

And another thing. You haven't calculated the correct free-fall time of this bomb when it is dropped from an altitude of 300 m. Check your arithmetic again.

A bit of a typo, but I meant that the altitude was 400m. Either way, you're right I wasn't calculating it correctly.
First off, I realized that the initial velocity of the bomb is 0m/s. Just because its being dropped from a moving plane, free fall is independent of how it starts falling.

r_f = r_i +v_i*t + 1/2at2
0 = 400 - 4.9t2
400=-4.9t2
t = 9 seconds to for the bomb to reach the ground.

300m/s * 9 seconds = 2.7km
I multiplied these because the plane is going to move an "extra" 300m for every second.

vetgirl1990 said:
I multiplied these because the plane is going to move an "extra" 300m for every second.
More to the point, the bomb continues forwards at 300m each second.

To answer your question about when you can use certain equations, the only general kinematics equations involve integrals and derivatives. The SUVAT equations can be deduced from those when acceleration is constant. That includes a=v/t (or more accurately, ##a=\Delta v/\Delta t##). But v=d/t is only valid when there is no acceleration.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a falling object to hit a target?

The time it takes for a falling object to hit a target can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the target, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a falling object to hit a target?

The trajectory of a falling object to hit a target is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the air resistance, and the gravitational force.

3. Is the trajectory of a falling object to hit a target affected by the mass of the object?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its trajectory when falling to hit a target. The only factors that affect the trajectory are the initial velocity, angle, air resistance, and gravitational force.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a falling object to hit a target?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a falling object and change its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force to the object's motion, causing it to fall at a slower rate than expected.

5. Can the trajectory of a falling object to hit a target be affected by external forces?

Yes, external forces such as wind or other objects in the path of the falling object can affect its trajectory and cause it to deviate from its intended target.