Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does mathematics make you feel

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    When you solve an equation, how does it make you feel? Why do you open a book and solve every equation in it? After doing so what do you feel? I don't think solving maths problems can release adrenaline so how does it make you feel? Why do you guys continue to pursue maths?

Do you get comfort from the certainty that math brings to an otherwise uncertain world?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    There's many reasons for why I enjoy mathematics. One of my main reasons is the way to describe such a large variety of things using mathematics in very simple ways. For example in Linear Algebra, you can talk about many specific and different things such as vector spaces, and different types of vectors and what sets they belong to and so on. The pleasure of knowing something, and understanding it, thus applying it to other things. I don't find much of a rush in 'solving an equation' but when I'm able to answer questions I wouldn't have been able to answer on my own without mathematics.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    I love analogies and as a result algebra holds a very special place in my heart.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's like, I love tomatoes so I think ketchup is very special too.

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I hope you don't have anything against ketchup... :grumpy:

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On scrambled eggs, it's yummy, eggman :smile:!

8. Mar 21, 2013 #7

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tabasco!

No wait, Sriracha!

9. Mar 22, 2013 #8
    Yes, I guess so! But I get even more comfort from the certainty Physics brings to an apparently messy world :smile:

10. Mar 22, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't know, I like Numb3rs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook