Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does maximum symmetry compare to its corresponding minimum symmetry?

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    In a mathematical system, what similarities are there between the most and least absolute symmetries?

Might Noether's theorem explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Before anyone can answer this, you will need to specify what you mean by "maximum" and "minimum" symmetry. How are you ordering symmetries?

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    I was thinking in part of "maximum" temperatures and "minimum" temperatures, as considered with a magnetic field -- are they of equal symmetry?

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    Make that temperature "approaching infinity" and temperature "approaching negative infinity."

6. Feb 2, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do understand "absolute zero" do you not?

But, in what sense does a mathematical system have a "temperature"?

7. Feb 2, 2012 #6
    I believe I once saw in Scientific American the concept of negative temperature relative to "absolute" zero. The system discussed was of a theoretical magnetic field that represented a temperature approaching infinity, but in a similar symmetric configuration could (ironically) represent temperature approaching negative infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook