How does measurement work in a two particle universe?

In summary, in a universe with only two particles and no other interactions, measurement is not well-defined and requires irreversibility. Wave function collapse occurs due to entanglement with the environment, and the same principle applies to entanglement between two particles. This means that the physical reality of far away objects is less concrete unless there is entanglement with them. Additionally, an experimenter can make definite statements about a particle's locality because they are entangled, but an outside observer who cannot become entangled with the system cannot make definite statements about it.
FallenApple
Say that they are not entangled. Assume classical quantum laws still hold but that there are only two particles in this universe with nothing else.

How would one of the particles measure the other?
Both particle's location and momentum are nonexistent until a measurement occurs by one on the other. Presumably, a particle may be considered an observer.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
Say that they are not entangled. Assume classical quantum laws still hold but that there are only two particles in this universe with nothing else.

How would one of the particles measure the other?
Both particle's location and momentum are nonexistent until a measurement occurs by one on the other. Presumably, a particle may be considered an observer.

I would say that "measurement" is necessarily a macroscopic interaction, and that it's not defined for a small number of particles. Measurement requires irreversibility.I should add that not everybody uses this criterion. There are articles that talk about undoing measurements, but that's a matter of semantics. Usually, they're talking about doing something that would be an initial step of a measurement, such as using a photon to detect the presence of an electron. But I would say that until the photon is actually observed, the measurement isn't actually completed.

Likes FallenApple
stevendaryl said:
I would say that "measurement" is necessarily a macroscopic interaction, and that it's not defined for a small number of particles. Measurement requires irreversibility.I should add that not everybody uses this criterion. There are articles that talk about undoing measurements, but that's a matter of semantics. Usually, they're talking about doing something that would be an initial step of a measurement, such as using a photon to detect the presence of an electron. But I would say that until the photon is actually observed, the measurement isn't actually completed.

Do you mean observed as in determined by a macroscopic system or a conscious observer?

From my understanding, wave function collapse happens because the particles become entangled with the environment, hence cementing their ontological status. And if two particles interact, they become entangled as well. So it seems to be the same thing. But for two particles entangled, while they are correlated, they are still in some sort of existential limbo. Does that imply the same thing happens macroscopically?

If so, physical reality of far away objects becomes less concrete from our vantage point unless there is some form of entanglement between say Earth and that something far away. I'm probably over reaching with this since I'm assuming no boundaries between the quantum world and the macroscopic world.

So essentially what I'm saying is that because experimenter and the particle are entangled upon measurement, the experimenter can make definite statements about particle locality. But for an hypothetical alien outside our cosmological horizon, which cannot become entangled with us, cannot make definite statements about the experimenter/particle quantum system. From his perspective, the experimenter and the particle are entangled in a quantum blur, but the system might as well not even exist since the alien cannot possibly make become entangled with said system.

1. How do we measure the distance between two particles in a two particle universe?

In a two particle universe, distance can be measured using the concept of relative position. This means that the distance between the two particles is determined by their positions in relation to each other. For example, if one particle is 10 meters away from the other, then the distance between them is 10 meters.

2. Can we measure the speed of particles in a two particle universe?

Yes, the speed of particles in a two particle universe can be measured using the concept of relative velocity. This means that the speed of a particle is determined by its movement in relation to the other particle. For example, if one particle is moving at a constant speed towards the other particle, then its speed can be measured using the distance it covers in a specific amount of time.

3. How does time measurement work in a two particle universe?

In a two particle universe, time can be measured using the concept of relative time. This means that the time between two events is determined by the time it takes for the particles to move from one position to another. For example, if one particle travels from point A to point B in 5 seconds, and the other particle travels from point B to point C in 3 seconds, then the time between the two events is 3 seconds.

4. Is there a standard unit of measurement in a two particle universe?

No, there is no standard unit of measurement in a two particle universe. As the concept of measurement in this universe is based on relative position, velocity, and time, the units used for measurement may vary depending on the context. However, scientific notation can still be used to express these measurements in a standardized way.

5. How does the uncertainty principle affect measurement in a two particle universe?

The uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, can affect measurement in a two particle universe. As the concept of relative position plays a crucial role in measurement, the uncertainty in one particle's position can affect the measurement of the other particle's momentum, and vice versa. This means that in a two particle universe, there will always be a degree of uncertainty in the measurement of both position and momentum.