How does one write a matrix in this forum?

• Thread starter interested_learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with entering a matrix on a forum, where the tool removes spaces and creates a messy output. The importance of spaces in the matrix is mentioned, and a suggestion is sought for a better way to write it. Some examples of code using LaTeX are provided as a solution.
interested_learner
I tried to enter a matrix in this forum and all I get is a big mess when I go to preview the matrix. It seems that the tool decides to get rid of the spaces in the matrix. These spaces are important. For instance if k = the rotation matrix with the first row 0 -1 and the second row 1 0

_ _
| 0 -1 |
k= |_ 1 0 _|

Does someone have a suggestion on a better way to write this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Click on the following to see the code:

[tex] \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} [/tex]

If you want brackets, then:

[tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Notice that the amount of c's control the columns, such as:

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{array} \right)[/tex]

1. How do I format a matrix in this forum?

To format a matrix in this forum, you can use the following steps:1. Begin by typing the opening bracket "[" followed by the first row of the matrix.2. Use a comma "," to separate the elements within the row.3. Press the "Enter" key to move to the next row.4. Repeat the process for each row, making sure to use a semicolon ";" to separate the rows.5. End the matrix by typing the closing bracket "]".6. Your matrix should now be properly formatted in the forum.

2. Can I insert a matrix into a post or reply?

Yes, you can insert a matrix into a post or reply in this forum. Simply follow the formatting steps mentioned in the previous question and paste the matrix into your post or reply. Make sure to use the "Preview" option to check that the matrix is properly formatted before submitting your post.

3. How do I add mathematical symbols or equations in a matrix?

To add mathematical symbols or equations in a matrix, you can use LaTeX code within the matrix formatting. For example, you can use "\frac" to create a fraction or "\sqrt" to add a square root symbol. Make sure to use the appropriate LaTeX syntax and preview your post before submitting.

4. Can I resize or edit a matrix after posting?

No, once a post or reply is submitted, you cannot resize or edit a matrix within the forum. However, you can delete your post and resubmit it with the correct formatting or use the "Edit" option if available to make minor changes.

5. Are there any restrictions on the size or complexity of a matrix in this forum?

There are no specific restrictions on the size or complexity of a matrix in this forum. However, keep in mind that larger and more complex matrices may be harder to read and may not display properly on all devices. It is recommended to use smaller matrices and simplify as much as possible to ensure proper formatting and readability for all users.