Write a matrix given the null space

In summary, the author is trying to find a basis for the null space of a linear transformation by solving a homogeneous linear system. They find two vectors that form the basis for the kernel and then use the rank-nullity theorem to obtain an orthogonal basis for the domain of the transformation.
Zero2Infinity

Homework Statement

Build the matrix A associated with a linear transformation ƒ:3→ℝ3 that has the line x-4y=z=0 as its kernel.

Homework Equations

I don't see any relevant equation to be specified here .

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I tried to find a basis for the null space by solving the homogeneous linear system:
\begin{equation}
\begin{cases} x-4y=0\\z=0\end{cases} \Leftrightarrow \begin{cases} x=4y\\z=0\end{cases}
\end{equation}
The solutions are thus of the kind (4y,y,0)=y(4,1,0). A basis is hence given by the single vector (4,1,0).
Due to the rank-nullity theorem I know that dim(Im) = dim(ℝ3)-dim(ker(f))=3-1=2. Then, I need two more vectors in order to obtain a basis of 3 that is composed by (4,1,0).
If I chose two vector such as that the matrix of the coordinates has the wanted kernel, I've concluded. My problem is that I don't see how to consciously pick them.
Can anyone help me? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero2Infinity said:

Homework Statement

Build the matrix A associated with a linear transformation ƒ:3→ℝ3 that has the line x-4y=z=0 as its kernel.

Homework Equations

First of all, I tried to find a basis for the null space by solving the homogeneous linear system:
\begin{equation}
\begin{cases} x-4y=0\\z=0\end{cases} \Leftrightarrow \begin{cases} x=4y\\z=0\end{cases}
\end{equation}
The solutions are thus of the kind (4y,y,0)=y(4,1,0). A basis is hence given by the single vector (4,1,0).
There is another basis vector for the kernel: <0, 0, 1>
Zero2Infinity said:
Due to the rank-nullity theorem I know that dim(Im) = dim(ℝ3)-dim(ker(f))=3-1=2. Then, I need two more vectors in order to obtain a basis of 3 that is composed by (4,1,0).
If I chose two vector such as that the matrix of the coordinates has the wanted kernel, I've concluded. My problem is that I don't see how to consciously pick them.

Sorry but I'm not convinced.
The basis of the kernel is found by solving the system I wrote, corresponding to the matrix
\begin{equation} \begin{pmatrix} 1&-4&0\\0&0&1 \end{pmatrix} \end{equation}
This system ha ##\infty^1## solutions of the type ##(4y,y,0)##, i.e. a basis is ##(4,1,0)## and the kernel is one-dimensional.

Last edited:
Why don't you use ##f(\vec{x})=A\vec{x} = \vec{0}\,##?

Let's see: knowing the basis vectors I can write
\begin{equation}
\begin{pmatrix}4&a&b\\1&c&d\\0&e&f\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1\\-4\\0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}
\end{equation}
Thus I get
\begin{equation}
\begin{cases}4-4a+0b=0\\1-4c+0d=0\\0-4e+0f=0\end{cases}
\end{equation}
from which ##a=1, c=\frac{1}{4}, e=0##. Repeating the procedure with
\begin{equation}
\begin{pmatrix}4&a&b\\1&c&d\\0&e&f\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}
\end{equation}
I get
\begin{equation}
\begin{cases}0+0a+b=0\\0+0c+d=0\\0+0e+f=0\end{cases}
\end{equation}
from which ##b=0, d=0, f=0##.
Concluding, I get the matrix
\begin{equation}
\begin{pmatrix}4&1&0\\1&\frac{1}{4}&0\\0&0&0\end{pmatrix}
\end{equation}
By doing so, though, the kernel becomes 2-dimensional with ##(0,0,1),(-\frac{1}{4},1,0)## as basis.

Last edited:
Of course. You have only one linear independent vector to span the image, but you need two. The matrix ##A'## of the linear equations in post #3 already had two (row) vectors to span the image. Why don't you expand it with a third row? What does ##A' x = 0## tell you? I mean, reread your own comment.

fresh_42 said:
Of course. You have only one linear independent vector to span the image, but you need two. The matrix ##A'## of the linear equations in post #3 already had two (row) vectors to span the image. Why don't you expand it with a third row? What does ##A' x = 0## tell you? I mean, reread your own comment.

First of all, thank you for your patience.
If I add a vector linearly dependent to the other two I get a matrix which kernel is ##(4,1,0)##. For example
\begin{equation}
\begin{pmatrix}1&-4&0\\0&0&1\\0&0&2\end{pmatrix}
\end{equation}
Then this is a solution for the excercise? As you might guess I'm not very sure about the conceptual meaning of what I'm doing...

You get a matrix which kernel is ##\{(x,y,z)\,\vert \,(1,-4,0)\cdot \vec{x} = 0 \wedge (0,0,1) \cdot \vec{x} = 0 \}##, i.e. the linear equations you started with. I would have chosen ##0## as the last entry, but ##2## is o.k., too. The first two row vectors are now perpendicular to ##(4,1,0)##, which you were looking for in post #1, and also perpendicular to each other. Therefore together they build a nice little basis of orthogonal vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##: two in the image of ##f## and one in its kernel.

Thank you again Sir!
Just to be sure: ##(1,-4,0),(0,0,1)## is a orthogonal basis of the ##Im(f)## subspace, ##(4,1,0)## is the basis for the one-dimensional nullspace of ##f## and so, by virtue of the rank-nullity theorem, I have an orthogonal basis of the domain of ##f##, i.e. ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Zero2Infinity said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

You don't need to.

A linear transformation which does the trick is [tex]\mathbf{x} \mapsto \mathbf{x} \times (4, 1, 0)^{T}.[/tex] This can be written as [itex]\mathbf{x} \mapsto A\mathbf{x}[/itex] for some matrix [itex]A[/itex].

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns.

What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space, also known as the kernel, of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in the zero vector.

How do you find the null space of a matrix?

To find the null space of a matrix, you can use a process called Gaussian elimination or row reduction. This involves systematically transforming the matrix into row-echelon form, where the null space can be easily identified.

Why is the null space important?

The null space of a matrix is important because it helps us understand the solutions to systems of linear equations. It also plays a key role in many applications of linear algebra, such as in solving differential equations and in image processing.

How do you write a matrix given the null space?

To write a matrix given the null space, you can use the concept of basis. The null space can be represented by a set of basis vectors, which can then be used to construct the matrix by setting up the columns as the basis vectors and filling in the rows using Gaussian elimination.