1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write a matrix given the null space

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Build the matrix A associated with a linear transformation ƒ:3→ℝ3 that has the line x-4y=z=0 as its kernel.

2. Relevant equations

I don't see any relevant equation to be specified here .

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I tried to find a basis for the null space by solving the homogeneous linear system:
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{cases} x-4y=0\\z=0\end{cases} \Leftrightarrow \begin{cases} x=4y\\z=0\end{cases}
    \end{equation}
    The solutions are thus of the kind (4y,y,0)=y(4,1,0). A basis is hence given by the single vector (4,1,0).
    Due to the rank-nullity theorem I know that dim(Im) = dim(ℝ3)-dim(ker(f))=3-1=2. Then, I need two more vectors in order to obtain a basis of 3 that is composed by (4,1,0).
    If I chose two vector such as that the matrix of the coordinates has the wanted kernel, I've concluded. My problem is that I don't see how to consciously pick them.
    Can anyone help me? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There is another basis vector for the kernel: <0, 0, 1>

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    Sorry but I'm not convinced.
    The basis of the kernel is found by solving the system I wrote, corresponding to the matrix
    \begin{equation} \begin{pmatrix} 1&-4&0\\0&0&1 \end{pmatrix} \end{equation}
    This system ha ##\infty^1## solutions of the type ##(4y,y,0)##, i.e. a basis is ##(4,1,0)## and the kernel is one-dimensional.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Why don't you use ##f(\vec{x})=A\vec{x} = \vec{0}\,##?

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5
    Let's see: knowing the basis vectors I can write
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{pmatrix}4&a&b\\1&c&d\\0&e&f\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1\\-4\\0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}
    \end{equation}
    Thus I get
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{cases}4-4a+0b=0\\1-4c+0d=0\\0-4e+0f=0\end{cases}
    \end{equation}
    from which ##a=1, c=\frac{1}{4}, e=0##. Repeating the procedure with
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{pmatrix}4&a&b\\1&c&d\\0&e&f\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}
    \end{equation}
    I get
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{cases}0+0a+b=0\\0+0c+d=0\\0+0e+f=0\end{cases}
    \end{equation}
    from which ##b=0, d=0, f=0##.
    Concluding, I get the matrix
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{pmatrix}4&1&0\\1&\frac{1}{4}&0\\0&0&0\end{pmatrix}
    \end{equation}
    By doing so, though, the kernel becomes 2-dimensional with ##(0,0,1),(-\frac{1}{4},1,0)## as basis.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. Jan 31, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Of course. You have only one linear independent vector to span the image, but you need two. The matrix ##A'## of the linear equations in post #3 already had two (row) vectors to span the image. Why don't you expand it with a third row? What does ##A' x = 0## tell you? I mean, reread your own comment.

8. Jan 31, 2017 #7
    First of all, thank you for your patience.
    If I add a vector linearly dependent to the other two I get a matrix which kernel is ##(4,1,0)##. For example
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{pmatrix}1&-4&0\\0&0&1\\0&0&2\end{pmatrix}
    \end{equation}
    Then this is a solution for the excercise? As you might guess I'm not very sure about the conceptual meaning of what I'm doing...

9. Jan 31, 2017 #8

fresh_42

You get a matrix which kernel is ##\{(x,y,z)\,\vert \,(1,-4,0)\cdot \vec{x} = 0 \wedge (0,0,1) \cdot \vec{x} = 0 \}##, i.e. the linear equations you started with. I would have chosen ##0## as the last entry, but ##2## is o.k., too. The first two row vectors are now perpendicular to ##(4,1,0)##, which you were looking for in post #1, and also perpendicular to each other. Therefore together they build a nice little basis of orthogonal vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##: two in the image of ##f## and one in its kernel.

10. Jan 31, 2017 #9
    Thank you again Sir!
    Just to be sure: ##(1,-4,0),(0,0,1)## is a orthogonal basis of the ##Im(f)## subspace, ##(4,1,0)## is the basis for the one-dimensional nullspace of ##f## and so, by virtue of the rank-nullity theorem, I have an orthogonal basis of the domain of ##f##, i.e. ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

11. Jan 31, 2017 #10

fresh_42

12. Feb 2, 2017 #11

pasmith

Homework Helper

You don't need to.

A linear transformation which does the trick is [tex]\mathbf{x} \mapsto \mathbf{x} \times (4, 1, 0)^{T}.[/tex] This can be written as [itex]\mathbf{x} \mapsto A\mathbf{x}[/itex] for some matrix [itex]A[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted