How does orbital decay relate to kinetic and mechanical energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
slaw
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey guys.
Could someone please explain orbital decay to me, with reference to the kinetic energy lost, and stuff like that. Also i would like to know how the equation for mechanical energy in orbits is derived, and how it is used.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is rather vague. orbital decay of what? Satalites? Moons? Planets? galaxies? Atoms?
 
Going on the assumption that you mean the decay of artificial satellite orbits, I believe that it's primarily a result of friction with the very tenuous bits of atmosphere that still exist at orbital altitudes, as Senior Frog mentioned. The same thing could happen, however, if the original orbital set-up was flawed. It could also result from collision with other orbital bodies. This is not an area that I'm particularly knowledgeable in, however, so you should wait for other opinions.
 
Sorry, yep I mean orbital decay of artificial satelltes.
 
This is determined by orbital height, composition, design and trajectory and debris in path.

Atmospheric drag does slow the satelltes which is determined by height.
Collisions with debris slow down the satelltes,
And the EMF produced by crossing Earth's magnetic field slow down the satelltes.
 
Good catch on the EMF, quinn. I never thought of that.