How does radial forc vary with the radius of its circular path?

In summary, the force exerted on an object varies inversely with the radius of its circular path. At constant frequency, the force is directly proportional to the radius, while at constant speed, the force is inversely proportional to the radius. The equation for force is F = mv^2/r, where v is the speed and ω = 2πf is the equation for frequency.
Arshad_Physic

Homework Statement

Its a conceptual question:

Theoretically, how does the radial force exerted on an object vary with the radius of its circular path when it is revolving: (a) at constant frequency? (b) with constant speed?

Homework Equations

F = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that mass is constant, I had thought that the force would be inversely proportional to the radius of its circular path. I went to a physics tutor for help and now I am not sure of this lol - I am absolutely confused! :)

What I am really confused at it is what is the difference between speed and frequency? I know that frequency is cycles per second, but how are they different in this equation (F = mv^2/r)?

Physics news on Phys.org
F = m*v^2/r = m*ω^2*r = m*ω*v.
ω=2π*f and v can speed.

HI! :)

Thanks for asnwering! :) But I am still confused :)

I understand that Force is inversely proportional to Radius - but is it inversely proportional to radius when its at constant frequency? and constant speed?

I understand that ω=2π*f is equation for frequency.

hang on - does this mean that at constant frequency Force is directly proportional, but at constant speed force is inversely proportional??! : )

Yes.

Thanks! :)

1. What is radial force?

Radial force is a type of force that acts in the direction of the radius of a circular path. It is also known as centripetal force and is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion.

2. How does radial force vary with the radius of its circular path?

The magnitude of radial force is directly proportional to the square of the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the radial force also increases.

3. Is radial force dependent on the mass of the object?

Yes, the magnitude of radial force is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that a heavier object will experience a greater radial force at the same radius compared to a lighter object.

4. How does radial force affect an object's speed?

Radial force does not directly affect an object's speed. However, it is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity, which in turn affects its speed. As the object moves in a circular path, the radial force constantly changes the direction of its velocity, resulting in a constant speed.

5. Can radial force be zero?

No, radial force cannot be zero as long as an object is moving in a circular path. In order for an object to maintain circular motion, there must always be a radial force acting towards the center of the circle.