1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does radial forc vary with the radius of its circular path?

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Its a conceptual question:

Theoretically, how does the radial force exerted on an object vary with the radius of its circular path when it is revolving: (a) at constant frequency? (b) with constant speed?

2. Relevant equations

F = mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming that mass is constant, I had thought that the force would be inversely proportional to the radius of its circular path. I went to a physics tutor for help and now I am not sure of this lol - I am absolutely confused! :)

What I am really confused at it is what is the difference between speed and frequency? I know that frequency is cycles per second, but how are they different in this equation (F = mv^2/r)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

F = m*v^2/r = m*ω^2*r = m*ω*v.
    ω=2π*f and v can speed.

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    HI! :)

Thanks for asnwering! :) But I am still confused :)

I understand that Force is inversely proportional to Radius - but is it inversely proportional to radius when its at constant frequency? and constant speed?

I understand that ω=2π*f is equation for frequency.

hang on - does this mean that at constant frequency Force is directly proportional, but at constant speed force is inversely proportional??!! : )

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    Thanks!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook