How does radial forc vary with the radius of its circular path?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Arshad_Physic
Messages
50
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Its a conceptual question:

Theoretically, how does the radial force exerted on an object vary with the radius of its circular path when it is revolving: (a) at constant frequency? (b) with constant speed?


Homework Equations



F = mv^2/r



The Attempt at a Solution



Assuming that mass is constant, I had thought that the force would be inversely proportional to the radius of its circular path. I went to a physics tutor for help and now I am not sure of this lol - I am absolutely confused! :)

What I am really confused at it is what is the difference between speed and frequency? I know that frequency is cycles per second, but how are they different in this equation (F = mv^2/r)?

Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HI! :)

Thanks for asnwering! :) But I am still confused :)

I understand that Force is inversely proportional to Radius - but is it inversely proportional to radius when its at constant frequency? and constant speed?

I understand that ω=2π*f is equation for frequency.

hang on - does this mean that at constant frequency Force is directly proportional, but at constant speed force is inversely proportional??! : )