How Does Setting x=0 and x=π Simplify the Series to Prove a Summation Identity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonHathaway
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JasonHathaway
Messages
113
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that, by putting x=0 x=∏ in [itex]x^{2}=\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}+4 \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{2}} cos(nx) cos(n \pi)[/itex], that [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}= \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(2n+1)^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



1111.png


This a solved problem, I've understood the first two parts, and how the even elements of the series were eliminated, but what about [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/itex]?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonHathaway said:

Homework Statement



Prove that, by putting x=0 x=∏ in [itex]x^{2}=\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}+4 \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{2}} cos(nx) cos(n \pi)[/itex], that [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}= \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(2n+1)^{2}}[/itex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



<image>

This a solved problem, I've understood the first two parts, and how the even elements of the series were eliminated, but what about [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/itex]?

The answer is actually incorrect. The correct answer is ##\frac{\pi^2}{8}-1##.

Rewrite series 2 in the following way:
$$\frac{\pi^2}{3}=4\left(\left(\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\frac{1}{5^2}+\cdots \right)-\left(\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{4^2}+\frac{1}{6^2}+\cdots \right)\right)$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{\pi^2}{3}=4\left(1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)^2} -\frac{1}{2^2}\left(\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\cdots \right)\right)\,\,\,\,\,\,(*)$$
From (3), you have ##\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\cdots##, put this in ##(*)## and you should be able to reach the correct answer.
 
You can turn the equation (2) into an expression for ##\frac{\pi^2}{12}## easily enough, and then ##\frac{\pi^2}{12}+\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\dots##

(and I disagree with Pranav-Arora - ##\frac{\pi^2}{8}## is correct)

Edit - Ah I see now what Pranav-Arora meant - the final summation should run from n=0, otherwise, indeed, the LHS should be ##\frac{\pi^2}{8}-1##
 
Last edited: