How Does Sound Speed Affect Pressure Amplitude in Ultrasound?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Emir Kano
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider an ultrasound beam incident normal to a boundary between two media with the same density, but
where the speed of sound in the second medium is 50 percent larger than that in the first. Calculate the ratio
between the pressure amplitudes of the incident and reflected waves.

Homework Equations



Wave velocity c (ms-1) = wavelength λ (m) x frequency f (Hz)

p = βcv
p = presuure
β = density
c= speed
v= ? (speed as well ?

The Attempt at a Solution



Im confused as to what the c and v are in this case.

I have tried searching and some places are saying its speed squared.

Or have I got the wrong formula and its some derivation.

But I am lost. Is there enough info to answer the question ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ideasrule said:
Fresnel equations?

I think Its not that its to do with the p = βcv

But I don't know what the 'c' and 'v' are. In this case do they both stand for speed. In which case the formula becomes p=βc^2. Or is it something completley different.