How does spaghetti get sucked up if pressure acts perpendicular to it?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ray Vickson
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,704
Reaction score
1,723
I am a fairly long-term homework helper, but this is my first post to the Forum.

I have often wondered: where do the forces arise that allow me to (rather impolitely) suck up individual strands of spaghetti? I deliberately create an imbalance in air pressure between the inside and the outside of my mouth, but the air pressure acting on the spaghetti produces forces that act perpendicular to the spaghetti's axis (not towards my mouth), with only the force on the very small hanging end acting along the axis, to push the strand up. So, how does the spagehetti get sucked up?

Ray Vickson
 
Physics news on Phys.org