How Does Temperature Affect the Diameter of a Hole in an Aluminum Plate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Brit412
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hole in an aluminum plate has a diameter of 1.179 cm at 22.00 degrees Celsius.
Part A asks for the diameter of the hole at 199 degrees Celsius.?
Part B asks for the temperature of the hole when its diameter is 1.177 cm?


Homework Equations



∆L = alpha L(0) ∆T

The Attempt at a Solution


I got the answer for Part A.

Here's what I did so far for Part B:
I manipulated the equation as follows:
∆L/alpha*L(0) + Temp (initial) = Temp (final)

And I used the difference between 1.177 and 1.179 cm for ∆L, used 1.179 for L(0) and the 22 degrees C for the initial temperature. Is this method correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org