How does the actuator in a car's power door lock system work?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SciSteve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
SciSteve
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I'm reading up on power door locks in a car and all the stuff I can seem to find on the internet is about latches, gears, and the actuator. I know the actuator has to produce some type of magnetic or electric field to cause the unlocking but i just don't understand which it is and how it actually does it can anyone explain for me?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Steve.
Basically, the actuator is just a solenoid coil (electromagnet) that sucks in a steel plunger when activated. The plunger is attached to a rod linkage that goes to the door locking mechnism.