How does the amplitude on a EM wave graph correspond to the number of photons?

In summary, E = hf implies that the intensity of light is a function of the number of photons in a beam. If the energy of a photon is hf, then the energy of N photons is N hf and the rate of energy flow is I \sim c N hf.
curiousatlarg
Hello all! I am trying to understand ER on a more intuitive level. I can see the relationship between energy and frequency. The relationship between amplitude and photon number is less clear. So far I have E = hf. I understand that the intensity of light is a function of the number of photons. Can this be correlated to amplitude? If so, then how? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What amplitude are you referring to?

The intensity of a light beam depends on the number of photons in the light beam; The energy depends on the energy [frequency] of the individual photons.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect
Photoelectric effect

curiousatlarg,

I assume by amplitude you mean the magnitude of the electric field, let's call it E. In fact, E is related to the average number of photons via [itex] N \sim E^2[/itex]. Please note also the very important word average. A macroscopic electric field does not correspond to an exact number of photons but instead to something called a coherent state of photons (we can discuss this later if you want).

My claim above can be understood as follows. Let's think about a EM wave of fixed frequency. If you accept that the energy of one photon is [itex] h f [/itex] then the energy of N photons is [itex] N h f[/itex] and the rate of energy flow, which is proportional to the intensity, is [itex] I \sim c N h f[/itex] ([itex] c [/itex] is the speed of light i.e. how fast the photons are going). Now you also know that the intensity is given by [itex] I \sim E^2 [/itex] in a classical EM wave, so by equating these two forms you find that [itex] E^2 \sim N[/itex] up to lots of factors that you can work out or look up somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I was referring to both the electric and the magnetic fields. What you gave me so far is what I was looking for. I will work with it some.

1. What is amplitude in an EM wave graph?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium or zero position. In an EM wave graph, it is represented by the height of the wave's peaks or troughs.

2. How is amplitude related to the number of photons in an EM wave?

Amplitude is directly proportional to the number of photons in an EM wave. This means that as the amplitude increases, the number of photons also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can the amplitude be used to determine the energy of an EM wave?

Yes, amplitude is related to the energy of an EM wave. The higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This is because amplitude is directly proportional to the number of photons, and the energy of a single photon is determined by its frequency.

4. How does the amplitude affect the intensity of an EM wave?

Amplitude is a measure of the strength of an EM wave. Therefore, the higher the amplitude, the higher the intensity of the wave. This means that a wave with a higher amplitude will have a greater impact or effect on its surroundings.

5. Is there a limit to the amplitude of an EM wave?

Yes, there is a limit to the amplitude of an EM wave, which is determined by the source of the wave. In other words, the amplitude cannot exceed the maximum energy or power output of the source. For example, the amplitude of an EM wave from a light bulb cannot exceed the power output of the bulb.