Finding speed of sound from Doppler shift with moving car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 7K views
calculator20
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Problem: a car is moving away from a stationary observer at 25ms^-1. It emits a frequency of 810Hz and the observer hears an apparent frequency of 762Hz. What is the speed of sound in air at that time?

Homework Equations


The equation for a source moving away is

f' = f(v/(v+us)) where us is speed of source.

The Attempt at a Solution


There are 2 v's and I need just one, I have no idea where to start, please can you help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
calculator20 said:
There are 2 v's and I need just one, I have no idea where to start, please can you help?
Of the two speeds, one is given. Just solve for the other.
 
Yes I know I have us but there are two v's in the equation and I don't know how to rearrange it to get one v on its own?
 
calculator20 said:
Yes I know I have us but there are two v's in the equation and I don't know how to rearrange it to get one v on its own?
Ah, so it's the algebra that's messing you up. First thing to do is get rid of that denominator on the right hand side. How can you do that?
 
calculator20 said:
Multiply by it giving this?

f'v+fus = fv
Almost. That second term on the left should have an f', not an f.
 
Oh yes, sorry.

f'v + f'us = fv

I still can't see how I set it down to just one v without somehow cancelling both out along the way?
 
calculator20 said:
Oh yes, sorry.

f'v + f'us = fv

I still can't see how I set it down to just one v without somehow cancelling both out along the way?
Keep the term with us where it is, but move all the others to the right. Then you can solve for us.
 
calculator20 said:
But I'm solving for v?
No, v is the speed of the car. You need to solve for us, which is the speed of sound.
 
It's definitely v I need to find. According to my textbook us is the moving source velocity. In the other equation it uses uo as moving observer velocity.
 
calculator20 said:
It's definitely v I need to find. According to my textbook us is the moving source velocity. In the other equation it uses uo as moving observer velocity.
You're right! (I must be losing my mind. Sorry about that!)

So just collect all the terms with v in them to one side. Then you can isolate v. [Using ax + bx = (a+b)x]
 
f'us=fv-f'v

f'us =v(f-f')

v=f'us/(f-f')

Is that right?
 
calculator20 said:
f'us=fv-f'v

f'us =v(f-f')

v=f'us/(f-f')

Is that right?
Perfect!