Solving for Speed of a Moving Car with Sound Frequency

In summary, the question asks for the speed of a race car based on the frequencies heard by an observer as the car approaches and then moves away. Using the equations for a source moving towards or away from a stationary observer, we can set the two frequencies equal and solve for the speed of the car. The source frequency is constant, so it cancels out. Plugging in the given frequencies and the speed of sound at 20 degrees Celsius, the speed of the car is calculated to be 70.04 m/s.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

A race car is traveling towards you and you hear a sound a frequency 3895.9 Hz. Then the car shoots by you. As the car moves away you hear a frequency of 2574.6 Hz. What is the speed of the car? Assume the temperature of the air is 20 degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

F_o = frequency of observer. Fs = frequency of source.

A source moving towards a stationary observer.
F_o = Fs1( 1 / (1-vs/v)

A source moving away from a stationary observer.

F_o = Fs2( 1 / (1+vs/v)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that I could set the two equal and solve for vs but this is not a good plan because It doesn't simplify nice. At least my attempts didn't.

Fs1( 1 / (1-vs/v) = Fs2( 1 / (1+vs/v)
I'm actually confused on this because I thought the question was giving me the frequency the observer hears which is F_o ??
I'm lost please point me in right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:
F_o = frequency of observer. Fs = frequency of source.

A source moving towards a stationary observer.
F_o = Fs1( 1 / (1-vs/v)

A source moving away from a stationary observer.

F_o = Fs2( 1 / (1+vs/v)

I'm actually confused on this because I thought the question was giving me the frequency the observer hears which is F_o ??

Yes, you are given the frequencies heard by the observer. You might want to call these frequencies F01 and F02. How does Fs1 compare to Fs2?

Think about the ratio of the two equations.

Could I set sf1 = sf2 ...Man I'm not sure. I think it would be the same right? Because the frequency of the source is constant it doesn't change right?

Jbreezy said:
Could I set sf1 = sf2 ...Man I'm not sure. I think it would be the same right? Because the frequency of the source is constant it doesn't change right?

That's right. The source frequency is fixed.

F_o1 = Fs1( 1 / (1-vs/v)

F_o2 = Fs1( 1 / (1+vs/v)

I did

F_o1/F_o2 = (Fs1( 1 / (1-vs/v))/ (Fs1( 1 / (1+vs/v))
Fs1 and Fs2 cancel because the source puts out the same frequency.

I simplified this to get vs. I got something of the form..

vs = (v(fo1 - fo2))/ (fo2 + fo1)
I put in the numbers. v was determined to be v = (331+ 0.6(20°C))m/s
v = 343m/s put this in for v

vs = ((343)( 3895.9 - 2574.6)) / (3895.9 + 2574.6)
vs= 70.04 m/s

Please check my answer and see if I did it correct the answer seems reasonable to me. Thanks

That looks correct. Good work!

Related to Solving for Speed of a Moving Car with Sound Frequency

What is the relationship between the speed of a moving car and the sound frequency it produces?

The speed of a moving car and the sound frequency it produces have an inverse relationship. This means that as the speed of the car increases, the sound frequency it produces decreases.

How can the speed of a moving car be determined using sound frequency?

The speed of a moving car can be determined using the equation: speed = frequency x wavelength. By measuring the frequency of the sound produced by the car and knowing the speed of sound in the medium it is traveling through, the speed of the car can be calculated.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the speed of a moving car using sound frequency?

The accuracy of calculating the speed of a moving car using sound frequency can be affected by external noise, temperature, and wind conditions. These factors can alter the speed of sound and therefore, affect the accuracy of the calculation.

Can the speed of a car be determined using any type of sound frequency?

No, the speed of a car can only be accurately determined using sound frequencies within the audible range for humans, which is typically between 20 Hz and 20 kHz.

Are there any limitations to using sound frequency to determine the speed of a moving car?

One limitation of using sound frequency to determine the speed of a moving car is that it requires the car to be producing a consistent and audible sound. This may not be possible in all situations, such as when the car is in a quiet or enclosed environment.