How Does the Substitution s=1-t Simplify the Integral in Calculating f(π/3)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Azael
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Azael
Messages
257
Reaction score
1
the problem is this
[tex]f(x)=\int_{1/2}^{sin^2x} \frac{ cos^2t }{ t^2-t }dt - \int_{1/2}^{cos^2x} \frac{sin^2(1-t]}{t^2-t}dt[/tex]
solve [tex]f(\frac{\pi}{3})[/tex]
They begin by doing the substitution s=1-t on the second integral and it leads to [tex]t^2-t=s^2-s[/tex] and [tex]dt=-ds[/tex]
this leads to the 2 integrals
[tex]f(\frac{\pi}{3})=\int_{1/2}^{3/2} \frac{cos^2t}{t^2-t}dt + \int_{1/2}^{3/2} \frac{sin^2s}{s^2-s}ds[/tex]
they then just make it into
[tex]f(\frac{\pi}{3})=\int_{1/2}^{3/2} \frac{1}{t^2-t}dt[/tex]
Solving that one is a pieace of cake

but its this last step I don't follow. Why can I say that [tex]sin^2s+cos^2t=1[/tex]? How can it be 1 when its 2 different variables??
and why is [tex]t^2-t=s^2-s[/tex] Why can I just replace the s with t's when s isn't equal to t?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is that s and t are dummy variables.
[tex]\int f(s)ds +\int g(t)dt = \int f(s)ds +\int g(s)ds=\int (f(s)+g(s))ds[/tex]

is a standard result and one you use all the time whether you realize it or not.
 
Last edited:
When I look at it as you wrote it it feels pretty obvious, thanks. I guess the whole part of defining s=1-t threw me off.