How Does the Tension in a Cord Between Two Masses Compare to an Applied Force?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeachBanana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conceptual Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
PeachBanana
Messages
189
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two bodies "P" and "Q" are on a frictionless horizontal surface are connected by a light cord. The mass of "P" is greater than that of "Q." A horizontal force "F" is applied to "Q" as shown below, acceleration the bodies to the right. The magnitude of the force "F" exerted by the connecting cord on body "P" will be:

A. Greater than F
B. Zero
C. Less than F but not zero
D. Equal to F

Homework Equations



F = ma?
I drew a picture.

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the answer was "A" because the force has to account for mass "P" AND mass "Q."
 

Attachments

  • ForcesConceptual.png
    ForcesConceptual.png
    584 bytes · Views: 559
Physics news on Phys.org
Let The Tension in the connecting cord of P and Q be T. Now draw the FBDs. I think the answer should be C.
 
vivekrai said:
Let The Tension in the connecting cord of P and Q be T. Now draw the FBDs. I think the answer should be C.

You are right; the answer IS C. I was thinking of the force in front of "Q."