Tension on a string between two masses.

In summary: It seems that the tension in the string connecting the two objects is equal to the weight of the objects times the cosine of the angle between the surfaces.
thatguythere

Homework Statement

The figure below shows an object of mass m1 = 1.1 kg on an inclined surface. The angle of the inclined surface is θ = 31° with the horizontal. The object m1 is connected to a second object of mass m2 = 6.10 kg on a horizontal surface below an overhang that is formed by the inclined surface. Further, an external force of magnitude Fext = 14 N is exerted on the object with mass m1. We observe both objects accelerate. Assuming the surfaces and the pulley are frictionless, and the pulley and the connecting string are massless, what is the tension in the string connecting the two objects?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I would simply like someone to verify my free body diagrams, so that I know whether I am working with the proper forces or not. Also, does the normal force and the perpendicular force cancel out?

Attachments

• 4-p-014-alt.gif
    4-p-014-alt.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 657
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your 2nd FBD is good. But not so on the first. You are missing the tension force, and what you are calling f_perp and f_parallel are the components of mg, which replace mg in your diagram.

So in this case, is F_parallel even applicable since the mass seems to be in equilibrium prior to the exerted force causing it to accelerate?

thatguythere said:
So in this case, is F_parallel even applicable since the mass seems to be in equilibrium prior to the exerted force causing it to accelerate?
no, that is not correct, without the applied force, the block would slide down the plane and the string would go slack . But anyway, it is given that an external force is applied and the system is accelerating, so you must identify forces for that loading case.

So the forces acting upon m1 are f_ext = 14cos31 = 12.00
f_parallel = mgsin31 = 5.55
T = ?
And upon m2 T = ?
On m1 the normal force and perpendicular cancel out, as well the F_g and F_n on m2?

How did you figure this out? I have a similar problem and I am having issues figuring it out any help would be appreciated.

I just cannot seem to find the proper forces on m1. I would think that I would end up with something like. For mass 1 Fx-T = 1.1a and for mass 2 T = 6.1a
Fx - (6.1a) = 1.1a
Fx = 7.2a
a = Fx/7.2

T = 6.1a

thatguythere said:
So the forces acting upon m1 are f_ext = 14cos31 = 12.00
You should choose the x-axis parallel to the incline and the y-axis perpendicular to the incline. In this manner, f_ext is 14 up the plane.
f_parallel = mgsin31 = 5.55
yes, down the plane.
T = ?
yes, T is still unknown at this point, and the sum of all these forces is equal to what, per Newton 2?
And upon m2 T = ?[
T = what , per Newton 2?
On m1 the normal force and perpendicular cancel out, as well the F_g and F_n on m2?
yes, why?

Victory!

thatguythere said:
Victory!
Sweet!:smile:

1. What is tension on a string?

Tension on a string is the force that is experienced by a string when it is pulled at both ends. It is also known as the pulling force or the stretching force.

2. How is tension on a string calculated?

Tension on a string can be calculated using the equation T = F/m, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and m is the mass of the string.

3. What factors affect the tension on a string?

The tension on a string is affected by the force applied, the mass of the string, and the length of the string. It also depends on the material and elasticity of the string.

4. How does tension on a string change with distance?

The tension on a string remains constant as long as the force applied and the mass of the string remain the same. However, if the distance between the two masses changes, the tension on the string will also change accordingly.

5. What happens to the tension on a string when one of the masses is increased?

If one of the masses is increased, the tension on the string will also increase. This is because the force applied to the string increases, leading to a higher tension in order to maintain equilibrium between the two masses.