Role of viscous force in momentum conservation for liquid-cone problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TeddyLu
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Please see attached file for problem statement

Homework Equations


ΣM = Min - Mout = 0

The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried using the equation of conservation of momentum on this problem but I'm getting stuck at how the viscous force of the liquid is playing a role in this problem. In addition, would I take in affect that the force of the liquid that is applied on the cone is applied throughout the whole area of the cone, therefore, meaning that I need to find the area of the surface of the cone that the liquid is acting upon?
 
Attachments
  • Problem.PNG
    Problem.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you learning about macroscopic momentum balances in your course? In your relevant equation, does M stand for mass or for momentum?