Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does this integral become zero?

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    While reading in Signals book, here's what I read:

I=1/2 [(integral sign) cos(n+m)wt dt + (integral sing) cos (n-m)wt dt]

"Because cos wt executes one complete cycle during any interval of duration T, cos (n+m)wt executes (n+m) complete cycles during any interval of duration T. Therefore the first integral in the above equation, which represents the area under n+m complete cycles of a sinusoid, equals zero. The same argument shows that the second integral in the above equation is also zero, except when n=m. Hence I in the above equation is zero for all n is not equal to m."

My question is: How do these integrals become zero?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just what the book says: if you integrate sin(x) or cos(x) over an integer number of periods, the integral is zero. If you let ,+{x,+0,+2pi}]]Wolfram Alpha calculate the integral, you can graphically see why in the plot: the blue and pink areas are equal (because of the symmetry around the x-axis), and because they are on different sides of the axis, they cancel.

If you want, you can work it out explicitly: the period of cos(w x) is 2 pi / w, so if you integrate over a complete period
    [tex] \int_0^{2\pi/w} \cos(wt) \, dt [/tex]
    you will find 0. You can even make it completely general and integrate
    [tex] \int_a^{a + k \cdot 2\pi/w} \cos(wt) \, dt [/tex]
    with a an arbitrary number and k an integer (k = 0, 1, 2, ..., -1, -2, ...).
  4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    Got it! Thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook