How does using a VTG help in reducing turbo lag

• Automotive
  • Thread starter monty37
  • Start date
In summary: So in summary, the Variable-geometry turbocharger, or VGT, can help reduce turbo lag at low speeds by having a low boost threshold and being very efficient at higher engine speeds. However, lag cannot be eliminated completely as spinning up a turbine takes time. The VGT is most effective at high speeds and the degree of control over the vanes, whether electrically or mechanically operated, affects the overall performance of the turbocharger.
monty37
In what way does the VTG help reduce turbo lag at low speeds? and can the lag be eliminated completely?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So one can still feel the difference when driving at low speeds ...and when shifting to high speeds..but they are really effective only at high speeds na?

You might not be able to "feel" it. If the geometry control is fine grained enough, the point when the turbo starts adding power might not be noticeable, but it would be measurable. I'm not sure what you mean by the latter half of your post.

The link says "VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds" so that's what I asked. And may I know what you mean by geometry control being fine grained?

monty37 said:
The link says "VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds" so that's what I asked. And may I know what you mean by geometry control being fine grained?

Low boost threshold : this means they start making boost at low RPM.

Minimal lag: Same thing.

Very efficient at high engine speed: Traditional (non-variable) turbos are trade-offs and only work well at one end of the RPM range or the other. Variable turbos work well at both ends.

By fine grained I mean the degree with which the geometry can vary in relation to engine RPM. The purely membrane/mechanical ones should are infinitely variable in theory. Electric and hydraulically operated vanes will be subject to the granularity provided by the control mechanism.

An electrically operated VGT that only has two states (open and closed) would function exactly like a non-variable turbocharger. I'm not familiar enough with the systems to say if the electrically operated ones are digitially controlled, but I would bet they are, and this means there are a finite number of "steps" the vanes can be put through between fully open and (nearly) fully closed.

The more steps you have, the more fine grained the control, and the better the turbo is going to operate over the full RPM range.

The control has mainly got to do with the ECU then right?

monty37 said:
The control has mainly got to do with the ECU then right?

I would assume so on the electrically operated ones. I believe most are purely mechanical though, operated via intake manifold vacuum.

1. How does a VTG reduce turbo lag?

A VTG (variable turbine geometry) is a type of turbocharger that uses variable vanes to control the airflow into the turbine. This allows for faster spooling of the turbo, reducing the amount of time it takes for the engine to reach its peak power.

2. What is turbo lag and why is it important to reduce?

Turbo lag is the delay between when the driver presses the accelerator and when the turbocharger provides a noticeable increase in power. It is important to reduce because it affects the responsiveness and performance of the engine, making it less efficient and slower to accelerate.

3. How does a VTG compare to other methods of reducing turbo lag?

A VTG is more effective at reducing turbo lag compared to other methods such as twin-scroll turbochargers or wastegates. This is because the variable vanes allow for precise control of the airflow, resulting in faster spooling and reduced turbo lag.

4. Does using a VTG have any negative effects on the engine?

No, using a VTG does not have any negative effects on the engine. In fact, it can improve the engine's overall efficiency and performance by providing more power at lower RPMs.

5. Are there any downsides to using a VTG?

One potential downside of using a VTG is the added complexity and cost compared to traditional turbochargers. Additionally, some drivers may experience a different driving feel due to the precise control of the variable vanes.