How effective can QM be to understand the mind and/or consciousness?

In summary, the quantum mind hypothesis is still speculative, but there are similarities between quantum mechanics and the study of behavior. It is important to remember that all observations are two-way interactions, and the order in which they are made will affect the results. The indeterminism and non-locality of quantum systems is also a similarity to the behavior studied in psychology.
SEYED2001
I am very interested in the philosophy and science of the mind, as well as consciousness in neuroscience. I am also very interested in QM. Now, I wonder how QM can be potentially connected to my two previous interests on the consciousness and mind. I would also appreciate any reference to articles or chapters on textbooks on these "quantum mind" topics.
Thank you in advance;
Seyed

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we are yet at a position where it is meaningful to invoke quantum mechanics directly in terms of understanding how the mind works, Roger Penrose notwithstanding. For one we cannot, for both moral and practical reasons make sharp measurements of the brain. However...

I believe we can take a lesson from the distinct way the science of natural phenomena is described in quantum mechanics (descriptions of actions) vs classical mechanics (descriptions of objective states). I recall, over coffee, discussing this very subject with a fellow graduate student when studying for my doctorate.

The key is to transition to a praxic/action based language as is done in QM while keeping the rigor an operational meaning, again as was done in QM. This as opposed to working with ontological descriptions and objective models, especially those including a presumption of un-observable objective states. The very phrase "state of mind" is a habit of this mechanistic way of viewing the functioning brain. I think this has been done to some extent as with the transition from Freudian to Jungian schools of psychoanalysis but I am too inexpert to render an opinion as to the level of rigor.

You have much of the same issues in studying behavior and studying quanta: The inescapable fact that all observations are two-way interactions; that the order in which observations are made will change results; the inescapable indeterministic nature of the systems involved, these all appear in both disciplines.

• Informative
Likes SEYED2001
Thank you for your reply.

SEYED2001 said:
Now, I wonder how QM can be potentially connected to my two previous interests on the consciousness and mind. I would also appreciate any reference to articles or chapters on textbooks on these "quantum mind" topics.
How much reading in this area have you already done? There's been a fair amount of speculation on consciousness as quantum mechanical phenomenon over the years. At a layperson level there's Roger Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind", and googling for "Orchestrated Objective Reduction" will bring up many more sophisticated references. You might also be interested in Daniel Dennett's "Consciousness Explained" - the title overpromises, but it is still a good counterpoint arguing that the mechanism of consciusness need not be non-deterministic.

The entire topic is of course, highly speculative.

• Informative
Likes SEYED2001 and PeroK
Nugatory said:
How much reading in this area have you already done? There's been a fair amount of speculation on consciousness as quantum mechanical phenomenon over the years. At a layperson level there's Roger Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind", and googling for "Orchestrated Objective Reduction" will bring up many more sophisticated references. You might also be interested in Daniel Dennett's "Consciousness Explained" - the title overpromises, but it is still a good counterpoint arguing that the mechanism of consciusness need not be non-deterministic.

The entire topic is of course, highly speculative.

Thank you sir. I haven't started to read QM yet. I would probably see the Daniel Dennett's argument between the consciousness and determinism. That should be very interesting! Thank you once again.

Given how far the brain is from the quantum scale I think that QM consciousness speculation is silly. Even a single neuron is classical-sized

Likes BillTre
jambaugh said:
You have much of the same issues in studying behavior and studying quanta: The inescapable fact that all observations are two-way interactions; that the order in which observations are made will change results; the inescapable indeterministic nature of the systems involved, these all appear in both disciplines.

Another apparent similarity in these is that the ##10^{11}## neurons in the human brain have to interact through local interactions, and still they produce a mind that experiences itself as one whole. This problem is somewhat alike to the nonlocality (spooky action at distance) in quantum measurements, but there's no actual evidence linking these things to one another.

Dale said:
Given how far the brain is from the quantum scale I think that QM consciousness speculation is silly.
I once described Penrose’s book as not merely unconvincing, but “profoundly unconvincing”. :smile:

Likes BillTre, hutchphd, Klystron and 2 others
hilbert2 said:
the ##10^{11}## neurons in the human brain have to interact through local interactions, and still they produce a mind that experiences itself as one whole. This problem is somewhat alike to the nonlocality (spooky action at distance) in quantum measurements
Locality is not an issue. The time scale of a single action potential is about 1 ms so as long as a brain is smaller than about 300 km nothing relevant is non-local.

Likes BillTre
hilbert2 said:
This problem is somewhat alike to the nonlocality (spooky action at distance) in quantum measurements, but there's no actual evidence linking these things to one another.

What Dale said. But also there isn't any nonlocality per se in quantum measurements excepting that a non-locally defined observable (such as momentum) is by definition not locally defined. The locality issues with Bell inequality violation are a red herring. But in any event I believe you are making a category error in comparing the abstract unity of one's self image with a physical locality. I also can conceive of myself as part of "one nation" or "one faith" and that unity has nothing to do with spatial locality.

Body image is a separate matter but that can be arbitrarily spatially extensive as say one imagining remote operated manipulators as "one's hands" while one is using them... no less so when those manipulators are mere (classically) coded states inside a VR computer's graphics ram.

I’m glad there is a respectable line of thought on this topic. When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of physicists Puthoff, Targ and Nobel laureate Brian Josephson, all of whom dabbled (or more like babbled) about QM, consciousness and ESP.

Likes bhobba
The OP is probably familiar with Existentialism, the philosophy most influenced by new theories in physics of Planck, Einstein, Dirac, et al. Development of existential ideas by Martin Heidegger and later Jean-Paul Sartre, among others, closely paralleled publications on the implications of relativity and quantum theory. Technological and medical advances from WWII required a rigorous philosophical framework to understand the moral implications and effects on human society.

STEM students wishing to explore modern philosophy may find Existential ideas a reasonable fit. Writers such as Martin Buber and Karl Popper certainly influenced science and the philosophy of science including quantum mechanics.

I don’t believe that there are any widely accepted theories of the origins of consciousness, particularly not any with experimental support. So until then this topic will have to wait.

Likes Klystron

1. How does quantum mechanics relate to the mind and consciousness?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It has been proposed that the principles of quantum mechanics can help explain some of the mysteries surrounding the mind and consciousness, such as the nature of free will and the role of perception in shaping reality.

2. Can quantum mechanics fully explain the mind and consciousness?

Currently, there is no consensus among scientists about whether quantum mechanics can fully explain the mind and consciousness. While some theories suggest that quantum processes may play a role in brain function, others argue that the complexity of the brain cannot be reduced to quantum mechanics alone.

3. How do quantum processes influence the mind and consciousness?

One theory is that quantum processes may play a role in the brain's ability to make decisions and process information. It has been proposed that quantum superposition and entanglement could allow for multiple possibilities to exist simultaneously, which could explain the brain's ability to consider multiple options before making a decision.

4. Are there any scientific studies that support the link between quantum mechanics and the mind?

While there have been some studies that suggest a connection between quantum mechanics and the mind, the research in this area is still in its early stages and there is no conclusive evidence yet. Some studies have shown that certain brain processes, such as neural oscillations, may exhibit quantum-like behavior, but more research is needed to fully understand this connection.

5. What are some potential implications of understanding the mind and consciousness through quantum mechanics?

If quantum mechanics is found to play a significant role in the mind and consciousness, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have practical applications in fields such as artificial intelligence and neuroscience, potentially leading to new treatments for mental health disorders and advancements in technology.