How far apart are two point charges....

In summary: Coulomb's Law. In summary, to calculate the force between two point charges of 75.0 nC, you need to use Coulomb's Law.
snowjoe
1. How far apart must two point charges of 75.0 nC be to have a force of 1.00 N between them?

Homework Equations

F = k Q1Q2/r2[/B]3. 1N = 9e10 * 75e-10 squared/r squared
r2= 9e10 * 75e-10 squared/1N
r2= 9*75*75e-10
r2= 5.0625e-7
r= square root of 5.0625 * square root of e-7

if this is right so far then i just have an
algebra issue, what is the square root of e-7? can it be e-3.5?, if so, what is the value of e-3.5?

Physics news on Phys.org
e-7 means 1x10^(-7) so you are right sqrt(e-7)= e-3,5

Likes snowjoe
snowjoe said:
1. How far apart must two point charges of 75.0 nC be to have a force of 1.00 N between them?

Homework Equations

F = k Q1Q2/r2[/B]3. 1N = 9e10 * 75e-10 squared/r squared
r2= 9e10 * 75e-10 squared/1N
r2= 9*75*75e-10
r2= 5.0625e-7
r= square root of 5.0625 * square root of e-7

if this is right so far then i just have an
algebra issue, what is the square root of e-7? can it be e-3.5?, if so, what is the value of e-3.5?
You also need to include the units for r .

Likes snowjoe
snowjoe said:
3. 1N = 9e10 * 75e-10 squared/r squared
Better check your value of k. And Q.
nano = 10-9, not 10-10.

Likes snowjoe
rude man, isn't an nC a C/e9? which gives nC as 1.6 * e (19-9) 10? value of k i am using 9 as approximation, good enough, k= 9.0 e9

snowjoe said:
rude man, isn't an nC a C/e9? which gives nC as 1.6 * e (19-9) 10? value of k i am using 9 as approximation, good enough, k= 9.0 e9
Where does 1.6 come from?

a Coulomb i take is 1.6 X e19 units of charge

i grow confuseder, this radius is in meters, no? yet i'mgetting values that are out of the realm of possibility. square the point charges, which are nC, which is on the order of e10, so squared, e20. multiply this by k, which is on the order of e9, getting e29, so the square root of this is the r? That still gives e14.5, in meters, pretty sure no force exists between these charges at several trillion meters. obviously I've gone awry, where?

snowjoe said:
i grow confuseder, this radius is in meters, no? yet i'mgetting values that are out of the realm of possibility. square the point charges, which are nC, which is on the order of e10,
1 nC = 10-9 C. C (coulomb) is the unit of charge, you mix it with the elementary charge, which is 1.6 `10-19 C.

snowjoe said:
a Coulomb i take is 1.6 X e19 units of charge
A single electron has a charge of -1.6×10-19 Coulombs .

A single proton has a charge of 1.6×10-19 Coulombs .

These values have nothing to do with your stated problem.

then my problem is the relationship between electrons/protons and Coulombs. How would one calculate the number of e/p in a fraction of a Coulomb, such as one billionth, a nC?

snowjoe said:
then my problem is the relationship between electrons/protons and Coulombs. How would one calculate the number of e/p in a fraction of a Coulomb, such as one billionth, a nC?
N protons have a total charge of N×(1.6×10-19)C .

So solve
N×(1.6×10-19)C = one billionth, a nC​

Likes snowjoe
SammyS said:

So solve
thank you.

SammyS said:

So solve
so, a billionth of a Coulomb is 1.6e-10, and a billionth of the particles in a Coulomb is 6.25e-9?

SammyS said:

So solve
N(1.6e-19)=e-9
N=e-9C/1.6e-19C = 6.25e9 = nC ??

then what is the flaw in calculating a nC by dividing C by n, as 1.6e19/e9 = 1.6e10

snowjoe said:
N(1.6e-19)=e-9
N=e-9C/1.6e-19C = 6.25e9 = nC ??

then what is the flaw in calculating a nC by dividing C by n, as 1.6e19/e9 = 1.6e10
The question asks force between two point charges.

There is NO mention of how many electrons or how many protons are involved.

Use Coulomb's Law.

Thanks, SS, But I'm asking about the math, where did i go wrong in calculating a nC by dividing 1.6e19 by e9?

snowjoe said:
Thanks, SS, But I'm asking about the math, where did i go wrong in calculating a nC by dividing 1.6e19 by e9?
Forget the 1.6×10-19, 1.6×1019, etc. The charge of an electron has nothing to do with this.

nano is a prefix for metric units. nano means 10-9.

1 Coulomb is the basic unit of charge in the SI system of units. It is NOT the charge of an electron or proton.

1 nano-Coulomb is 1×109 Coulombs.

is it not true that in a Coulomb there are 1.6 e19 units of charge, this unit of charge being the charge carried by one electron or proton?

snowjoe said:
is it not true that in a Coulomb there are 1.6 e19 units of charge, this unit of charge being the charge carried by one electron or proton?
Yes that's true, but that fact is not needed anywhere in using Coulomb's Law.

1. What is the equation for calculating the distance between two point charges?

The equation for calculating the distance between two point charges is given by Coulomb's Law:
d = k * (|q1| * |q2|)/|F|
Where d is the distance between the two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and |F| is the force between the two charges.

2. How does the distance between two point charges affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the electric force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the electric force increases.

3. Can the distance between two point charges be negative?

No, the distance between two point charges cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive. However, in some equations, the direction of the distance may be indicated by a positive or negative sign, but the magnitude of the distance is always positive.

4. How do you measure the distance between two point charges?

The distance between two point charges can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape, if the charges are large enough to be visible. In more precise measurements, specialized instruments such as an electromagnetic force balance or a coulomb balance can be used to measure the distance between two point charges.

5. Does the medium between two point charges affect the distance between them?

Yes, the medium between two point charges can affect the distance between them. The dielectric constant of the medium, which is a measure of how easily it can be polarized by an electric field, can influence the distance between two point charges. In a medium with a high dielectric constant, the distance between the two charges may be greater compared to a medium with a lower dielectric constant.