Proof that disk of charge = point charge when very far?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the electric field above the center of a uniformly charged disk with radius R and surface charge density σ decreases with the square of the distance, similar to a point charge, when one is very far from the disk. The conversation mentions using binomial expansion to approximate the equation and highlights the importance of understanding the binomial expansion of (1+t)a for small t. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a simple solution that involves using the binomial expansion and considering the relationship between R and x.
Brennen berkley

Homework Statement

Take the expression 21.11 (pictured below, specifically the bottom one) for the electric field above the center of a uniformly charged disk with radius R and surface charge density σ, and show that when one is very far from the disk, the field decreases with the same square of the distance as it would for a point charge, E ~ q/4πεx2, where q is the total charge on the disk.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_25_at_9_04_14_PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved one like this pretty easily where you prove that a long wire acts as an infinite wire, but I've been looking at this one for about an hour and I'm stumped. I know I need to get x2 on the bottom of the equation without being inside a square root, but I don't know how. The only approximation I can think of is that when R is much bigger than x, √(x2 + R2 + 1) goes to 1, but then I don't have an x anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean x much larger than R.
Do you know the binomial expansion of (1+t)a for small t?

Edit: must learn to post more quickly.

Yes, I meant if x is much larger than R then √(R2/x2 + 1) goes to 0 (hopefully I said it right that time). I haven't done binomial expansions, for a while so I'll review those, thanks.

Last edited:
Ok I'm still stuck. I used σ = q/πR2 and did the binomial expansion and got this:
Screen_Shot_2016_02_25_at_10_19_00_PM.png

EDIT: that should be R2/2x2

Note that ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} = (1+t^2)^{-1/2}##

I see how to do it know, it's pretty simple, thanks.

1. What is the proof that a disk of charge is equivalent to a point charge when viewed from a distance?

The proof is based on the concept of Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the charge enclosed by that surface. When a disk of charge is viewed from a distance, it can be approximated as a point charge with the same total charge, resulting in the same electric flux through a closed surface around it.

2. How does the distance from the disk of charge affect the equivalence to a point charge?

The equivalence to a point charge becomes more accurate as the distance from the disk increases. This is because as the distance increases, the disk appears smaller and the curvature of its surface becomes less significant, making it more similar to a point charge.

3. Is the proof valid for all distances from the disk of charge?

No, the proof is only valid for distances that are much larger than the size of the disk. When the distance is comparable to or smaller than the size of the disk, the curvature of the disk's surface becomes more significant and cannot be ignored.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the equivalence of a disk of charge to a point charge?

Aside from distance, the size of the disk and the amount of charge it holds also affect the accuracy of the equivalence. A larger disk with more charge will have a stronger electric field and may not be accurately approximated as a point charge from a larger distance.

5. How is this proof useful in practical applications?

The proof is useful in simplifying calculations and solving problems involving electric fields of disk-shaped objects. It allows scientists to use the simpler equations and concepts related to point charges rather than having to deal with the more complex equations for curved surfaces. It is also helpful in understanding the behavior of electric fields in three-dimensional space.