1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that disk of charge = point charge when very far?

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Take the expression 21.11 (pictured below, specifically the bottom one) for the electric field above the center of a uniformly charged disk with radius R and surface charge density σ, and show that when one is very far from the disk, the field decreases with the same square of the distance as it would for a point charge, E ~ q/4πεx2, where q is the total charge on the disk.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_25_at_9_04_14_PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved one like this pretty easily where you prove that a long wire acts as an infinite wire, but I've been looking at this one for about an hour and I'm stumped. I know I need to get x2 on the bottom of the equation without being inside a square root, but I don't know how. The only approximation I can think of is that when R is much bigger than x, √(x2 + R2 + 1) goes to 1, but then I don't have an x anymore.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you mean x much larger than R.
    Do you know the binomial expansion of (1+t)a for small t?

Edit: must learn to post more quickly.

5. Feb 25, 2016 #4
    Yes, I meant if x is much larger than R then √(R2/x2 + 1) goes to 0 (hopefully I said it right that time). I haven't done binomial expansions, for a while so I'll review those, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. Feb 25, 2016 #5
    Ok I'm still stuck. I used σ = q/πR2 and did the binomial expansion and got this:
    Screen_Shot_2016_02_25_at_10_19_00_PM.png

EDIT: that should be R2/2x2

7. Feb 25, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+t^2}} = (1+t^2)^{-1/2}##

8. Feb 25, 2016 #7
    I see how to do it know, it's pretty simple, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted