1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given Two Point Charges, Find the charge at Point 0 as x,y

1. Jan 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1 = 8.00 nC , is placed a distance 16.0 m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2 = 6.00 nC , is placed a distance 9.00 m from the origin along the negative x axis.

Photo shown by problem:
    http://imgur.com/mmQtBk0

Find the electric field at the origin, point O.
    Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. Keep in mind that an x component that points to the right is positive and a y component that points upward is positive.

2. Relevant equations
    Presumably, E=(q/r^2)k

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I can't seem to manage here is the Y component. I have used the relevant equation above and calculated the negative side and the positive side and subtracted the magnitude of the negative from the magnitude of the positive to find the X component at 0. But, I don't even see what I would use in the problem to find the charge along the Y component. I really want to understand this. Any advisement would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2017 #2
    Sorry, I don't know why the photo isn't working. Here is the photo again:

1011305A.jpg

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    components are "components", that is, parts of the whole. You don't have to go looking for hidden or separate y pieces. At the origin (or any other point in space for that matter) the electric field vector from each charge only points one direction. You seem to have correctly identified which way that is. Well then, how much of each electric field vector is along x and how much is along y? (0 is a perfectly good number)

5. Jan 28, 2017 #4
    Thank you.

There goes old vr0nvr0n, overthinking the problem again!

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted