Finding the neutral point of two charges

In summary: So the neutral point is at 1m from the negative charge.In summary, the two charges, q1=+9c and q2+-1c, separated by 2m, create an electric field where the positive field flows towards the negative charge, resulting in a field to the right. The neutral point nearest the negative charge is found by solving the quadratic equation, resulting in the neutral point being 1m from the negative charge.
kspabo

Homework Statement

Two charges q1=+9c and q2+-1c are separated by 2m. Where is their neutral point?

Homework Equations

E = E(+) + E(-)
E= k q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

k q1/(2+x)^2 = -(k q2/x^2)

When I solve for this equation I end up square rooting a negative number which would then give i and I don't know how to work with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
kspabo said:

Homework Statement

Two charges q1=+9c and q2+-1c are separated by 2m. Where is their neutral point?

Homework Equations

E = E(+) + E(-)
E= k q/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solve for this equation I end up square rooting a negative number which would then give i and I don't know how to work with this.
Doesn't the electric field vector point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge?

If so, the sign you use for the field from each of your charges depends upon the position relative to the charges.

SammyS said:
Doesn't the electric field vector point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge?

If so, the sign you use for the field from each of your charges depends upon the position relative to the charges.
Correct. So the positive field flows right towards the negative which continues a field to the right. I'm looking for the neutral point nearest the negative charge. How can I use this info to solve this if q1 is at 0 and q2 is at x=2?

Last edited:
kspabo said:
Correct. So the positive field flows right towards the negative which continues a field to the right. I'm looking for the neutral point nearest the negative charge. How can I use this info to solve this if q1 is at 0 and q2 is at x=2?
Show what you get when you put values for charge into the following and do a little simplifying.
kspabo said:

Also,
What is the quadratic equation you get?

SammyS said:
Show what you get when you put values for charge into the following and do a little simplifying.Also,
What is the quadratic equation you get?

q1/(2+x)^2 = -(q2/x^2)
+9/(2+x)^2 = -(-1/x^2)
9/(2+x)^2 = 1/x^2
x^2/(2+x)^2 = 1/9
x/(2+x) = ± 1/3
(2+x)/x = ± 3
2/x + 1 = ± 3
2/x = -1 ± 3
So we have x=1 when -1 + 3

Ah, that makes sense and I believe is the correct answer.

1. How do I find the neutral point between two charges?

The neutral point between two charges can be found by drawing an imaginary line connecting the two charges. The neutral point will be located on this line, at a distance that is equal to the average of the distances between each charge and the neutral point. This can be calculated using the formula: (d1 + d2)/2, where d1 and d2 are the distances between each charge and the neutral point.

2. What is the significance of finding the neutral point between two charges?

The neutral point between two charges is the point at which the electric fields of the two charges cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero. This point is important because any object placed at the neutral point will experience no electrostatic force from the two charges.

3. Can the neutral point be located outside the line connecting the two charges?

No, the neutral point will always lie on the line connecting the two charges. This is because the electric fields of the two charges are symmetrical along this line, and cancel each other out at this point.

4. How does the magnitude and distance of the charges affect the position of the neutral point?

The magnitude and distance of the charges will directly affect the position of the neutral point. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the neutral point will move closer to the charges. Similarly, as the distance between the charges increases, the neutral point will move further away from the charges.

5. Is it possible for the neutral point to be located within the region between the two charges?

No, the neutral point will always be located outside the region between the two charges. If the neutral point were to be located within this region, it would result in a net electric field, which goes against the definition of the neutral point being a point of zero net electric field.