How far bullet travels in 2,5 seconds

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem involving a bullet being shot at an angle of 35o with a speed of 90 m/s. The question asked for the distance from the launch site after 2.5 seconds, and the attempted solution only calculated the horizontal distance. The correct way to solve the problem is to also take into account the vertical distance and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total distance, which is approximately 210 m.
whatdoido
I am solving some problems of my physics book for fun and for some reason I am getting a wrong answer from this one.

1. Homework Statement

A bullet is shot at an angle of 35o with a speed of 90 m/s. I assume that air resistance is ignored.

Calculate bullet's distance from launch site 2,5 seconds after the shot.

Homework Equations

[/B]
x = vox * t
vox = vo * cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The horizontal speed should stay as it is.

vo = 90 m/s
t = 2,5 s
θ = 35o

x = vox * t = vo * cosθ * t = 90 m/s * cos 35o * 2,5 s = 184,309... m ≈ 184 m

The book says that the answer should be 210 m. I cannot think of any other way to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asked for distance from the launch site, not just the horizontal distance. After 2.5 seconds, the bullet is still in the air, so the vertical distance is nonzero.

Has the bullet landed by time t = 2.5 s? If not, what are its coordinates with respect to the launch point?

Fightfish said:
The question asked for distance from the launch site, not just the horizontal distance. After 2.5 seconds, the bullet is still in the air, so the vertical distance is nonzero.

Okay, thanks this helped!

I calculated the vertical distance, y:

y = voy * t - 0,5 * g * t2
= vo * sinθ * t - 0,5 * g * t2
= 90 m/s * sin 35o * 2,5 s - 0,5 * 9,81 m/s2 * (2,5 s)2
= 98,398...m

Then I figured that the real distance, d, is the hypotenuse of x and y.

d = √(x2 + y2) = √((184,309... m)2 + (98,398... m)2)
= 208,930... m
≈ 210 m

This should be correct way to do it, right?

Right!

1. How is the distance traveled by a bullet in 2.5 seconds calculated?

The distance traveled by a bullet in 2.5 seconds is calculated by multiplying the bullet's velocity, or speed, by the time it travels. This calculation is represented by the equation: d = v * t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect the distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds?

The distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds can be affected by several factors, including the bullet's initial velocity, air resistance, and gravity. Additionally, the type and weight of the bullet can also impact its distance traveled.

3. What is the average distance a bullet can travel in 2.5 seconds?

The average distance a bullet can travel in 2.5 seconds depends on several factors, including the type of bullet and the conditions it is traveling in. On average, a bullet can travel between 2,500-3,000 feet (762-914 meters) in 2.5 seconds.

4. Can the distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds be affected by external forces?

Yes, external forces such as wind and air resistance can affect the distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds. These forces can cause the bullet to slow down or change its trajectory, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

5. How does the distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds differ for different types of bullets?

The distance a bullet travels in 2.5 seconds can vary greatly depending on the type and weight of the bullet. For example, a heavier bullet with a higher initial velocity may travel further than a lighter bullet with a lower initial velocity. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and external forces can also impact the distance traveled for different types of bullets.