Calculating Force and Impulse of a Bullet Hitting a Man

In summary, a bullet of mass 0.011 kg with a speed of 850 m/s embeds itself in a man of mass 90 kg. To find the momentum of the bullet before it strikes the man, we use the equation p=mv, which gives us a value of 9.35 N/s. To calculate the average force exerted on the man, we use the equation F=I/t, where I is the impulse of the force and t is the time it takes for the bullet to come to rest after hitting the man. Using the equation I=Pf-Po, we find the impulse to be -9.35 N/s and the average force to be -93.5 N. However, the
StormPix

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.011 kg is fired at a speed of 850 m/s. It embeds itself in a man of mass 90 kg.

a) Find the momentum of the bullet before it strikes the man.

b) Assuming it takes 0.1 seconds for the bullet to come to rest after hitting the man, calculate the average force that the bullet exerts on the man.

Homework Equations

p=mv
I=Pf - Pi
F=I/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Po = m*Vo = (0.011 kg)(850 m/s) = 9.35 N/s

b) I = Pf - Po = (0.011 kg)(0 m/s) - 9.35 N/s = - 9.35 N/s
F = I/t = -9.35 N/s / 0.1 s = -93.5 N

Question is why is the force negative. Shouldn't it be positive as the force is directed in the same direction as the bullet's movement and thus a positive direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
StormPix said:
Question is why is the force negative. Shouldn't it be positive as the force is directed in the same direction as the bullet's movement and thus a positive direction?
Yes, the force on the man should be positive. But did you calculate the impulse of the force on the man or did you calculate the impulse of the force on the bullet?

1. What is linear momentum bullet?

Linear momentum bullet, also known as linear momentum projectile, refers to the product of the mass and velocity of a bullet. It is a measure of the amount of motion of the bullet in a straight line.

2. How is linear momentum bullet calculated?

The linear momentum of a bullet can be calculated by multiplying its mass (in kg) by its velocity (in m/s). The formula for linear momentum is p = m * v.

3. Why is linear momentum important in ballistics?

Linear momentum is important in ballistics as it helps to determine the impact and penetration power of a bullet. A bullet with a higher linear momentum will be more effective in penetrating through a target compared to a bullet with a lower linear momentum.

4. Does the shape and size of a bullet affect its linear momentum?

Yes, the shape and size of a bullet can affect its linear momentum. A larger and heavier bullet will have a higher linear momentum compared to a smaller and lighter bullet, assuming they have the same velocity.

5. How does the conservation of linear momentum apply to bullets?

According to the law of conservation of linear momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the linear momentum of a bullet before and after firing should be the same, assuming there are no external forces acting on it.