How far can a golf ball travel on the moon?

In summary: From there, it simplifies the equation to y = 0.5gt^2 and uses the quadratic equation to find the x-coordinate of the particle at that point.
negation

Homework Statement

If you can hit a golf ball 180m on Earth, how far can you hit it on the Moon?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this question deals with range;

sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g

My problem is that I do not have the velocity at which the golf ball is being hit. As for the launch angle, I could make a probable assumption that the golf ball is launched at a 45°.
Would I be valid to make the assumption the ball would travel 6x further on the Moon than on the Earth given the gravitational pull on the Moon is 1/6 that of Earth?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi negation! :wink:
negation said:
Would I be valid to make the assumption the ball would travel 6x further on the Moon than on the Earth given the gravitational pull on the Moon is 1/6 that of Earth?

negative!

work it out!
As for the launch angle, I could make a probable assumption that the golf ball is launched at a 45°.

yes, maximum range (for fixed speed) is at 45° :smile:

Likes 1 person
You should calculate the range based on the different values of g on Earth and on the Moon.
Assume arbitrary velocity v and angle theta.

You will find out when you finish your calculations whether the velocity and/or angle impact the answer to the question.

Likes 1 person
negation said:
sx = vxi^2 sinΘ
You've left a very important term of that equation.
(It's obviously wrong because the dimensions don't match. You have a distance on one side and the square of a velocity on the other.)

haruspex said:
You've left a very important term of that equation.
(It's obviously wrong because the dimensions don't match. You have a distance on one side and the square of a velocity on the other.)

I carelessly left out the time variable, t.

negation said:
I carelessly left out the time variable, t.

No, that's not what's missing. Check where you got that equation from.

haruspex said:
No, that's not what's missing. Check where you got that equation from.

It has been corrected: sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g after having derived it from the trajectory equation.

tiny-tim said:
hi negation! :wink:

Negative!

work it out!

yes, maximum range (for fixed speed) is at 45° :smile:

rude man said:
you should calculate the range based on the different values of g on Earth and on the moon.
Assume arbitrary velocity v and angle theta.

You will find out when you finish your calculations whether the velocity and/or angle impact the answer to the question.

haruspex said:
you've left a very important term of that equation.
(it's obviously wrong because the dimensions don't match. You have a distance on one side and the square of a velocity on the other.)

Capture.JPG

negation said:
It has been corrected: sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g after having derived it from the trajectory equation.
Right, and from that you can see that the distance is inversely proportional to the strength of gravity. So your guess was right: one sixth the gravity means 6 times the distance.

Likes 1 person
negation said:
Since this question deals with range;

sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g

The equation is wrong.

ehild

ehild said:
The equation is wrong.

ehild
Ah yes, good catch. There's a 2 missing, right?

haruspex said:
Ah yes, good catch. There's a 2 missing, right?

I noticed. It ought to be sin^2θ

negation said:
I noticed. It ought to be sin^2θ
Not quite.

The time of flight is t=2viy/g=2visin(θ)/g. The horizontal displacement during that time is sx=vicos(θ)t= 2vi2cos(θ)sin(θ)/g=[vi2sin(2θ)]/g. With a given initial speed, maximum range is at θ=45°.

Do not use vix in the formula for sx.

ehild

haruspex said:
Not quite.

Are you sure?

I managed to obtain the right answer. I have poor memorizing abilities and as such I derive equations I require(very time consuming).

The formula I derived is x = [2vxi^2sin45°]/g

This enables me to obtain vxi. After which I use the above formula to determine the x-displacement on the moon.

I wonder how you got that formula...

ehild

ehild said:
I wonder how you got that formula...

ehild

Capture.JPG

it works fine...

ehild said:

I have used my own arbitrary label of the variables but they essentially implies the same thing.
In my formula, I determine the time taken for the particle to travel from xi to xf.
The time taken for particle to be displaced from xi - xf can be substituted into the y-displacement equation to determine the displacement of the particle along the y-axis-this allows me to determine the x and y coordinate of the particle at a given time.
Simplifying the equation where t = sx/ vicosΘ into the y = visinΘ-0.5gt^2 produces a quadratic equation which allows me to determine the 2 possible x-coordinate of the particle where y = 0 since the trajectory has a parabolic characteristic.

In simplifying further, I obtain x = 2vi^2sinΘ/g; given 3 known variables, I can find the one unknown.

I saw the reasoning in the link you provided. The reasoning in the link begins by using the y-displacement equation to determine the time taken for the particle to be displaced from yi to yi. Then it subs that amount of time into the x-displacement equation to determine the horizontal range the particle travels in that same amount of time.

As for the formula I used, I begin with determining the time taken for the particle to be displaced from xi -xf.

Last edited:
negation said:
I have used my own arbitrary label of the variables but they essentially implies the same thing.

So what are vx and vy (or vxi and vyi) in your derivation?

negation said:
In my formula, I determine the time taken for the particle to travel from xi to xf.
The time taken for particle to be displaced from xi - xf can be substituted into the y-displacement equation to determine the displacement of the particle along the y-axis-this allows me to determine the x and y coordinate of the particle at a given time.
Simplifying the equation where t = sx/ vicosΘ into the y = visinΘ-0.5gt^2 produces a quadratic equation which allows me to determine the 2 possible x-coordinate of the particle where y = 0 since the trajectory has a parabolic characteristic.

That is correct.

negation said:
In simplifying further, I obtain x = 2vi^2sinΘ/g;

That is still wrong. ehild

negation said:
View attachment 65737

it works fine...
The line that start "sx = 0 V" is fine (except for a spurious extra θ), but in going from there to the next line you dropped a cos(θ).
There is an easier way: forget sy, compute the flight time. Time to reach apex is vy/g.

haruspex said:
The line that start "sx = 0 V" is fine (except for a spurious extra θ), but in going from there to the next line you dropped a cos(θ).
There is an easier way: forget sy, compute the flight time. Time to reach apex is vy/g.

I saw that. It was a typo but, admittedly, I was lazy to have it changed.
I went through the link again, understood the reasoning, and I must say it has more clarity.

ehild said:
So what are vx and vy (or vxi and vyi) in your derivation?

ehild

Understood.

negation said:
I saw that. It was a typo but, admittedly, I was lazy to have it changed.
OK, but that's why you got this wrong formula: x = 2vi^2sinΘ/g
What formula do you get now?

haruspex said:
OK, but that's why you got this wrong formula: x = 2vi^2sinΘ/g
What formula do you get now?
I got this: x = vi^2sin[2Θ]/g

I made a careless mistake by overlooking the trig identity where 2cos(x)sin(x) = sin(2x):

Last edited:
negation said:
I got this: x = vi^2sin[2Θ]/g

Good.

1. How does the lack of atmosphere on the moon affect the distance a golf ball can travel?

The lack of atmosphere on the moon means there is no air resistance to slow down the golf ball as it travels. This allows the ball to travel much farther than it would on Earth.

2. What is the gravitational pull on the moon compared to Earth and how does it impact the distance a golf ball can travel?

The gravitational pull on the moon is about one-sixth of that on Earth. This means that the golf ball will experience less gravity, allowing it to travel farther due to less downward force.

3. What other factors besides gravity and atmosphere affect the distance a golf ball can travel on the moon?

Other factors that can affect the distance a golf ball can travel on the moon include the surface conditions, such as the texture and slope of the ground, as well as the force and angle at which the ball is hit.

4. How does the golf club used on the moon impact the distance the ball can travel?

The golf club used on the moon would need to be specifically designed for the lower gravity and lack of atmosphere. It would need to be lighter and have a larger head to allow for a more powerful swing and longer distance.

5. Can a golf ball travel infinitely far on the moon due to its lower gravity?

No, the golf ball will eventually come to a stop due to the force of gravity and the friction from the ground. However, it can travel much farther than it would on Earth due to the lower gravity and lack of air resistance.