1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far can a golf ball travel on the moon?

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you can hit a golf ball 180m on Earth, how far can you hit it on the Moon?

3. The attempt at a solution

Since this question deals with range;

sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g

My problem is that I do not have the velocity at which the golf ball is being hit. As for the launch angle, I could make a probable assumption that the golf ball is launched at a 45°.
    Would I be valid to make the assumption the ball would travel 6x further on the Moon than on the Earth given the gravitational pull on the Moon is 1/6 that of Earth?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi negation! :wink:
    negative!

work it out!!
    yes, maximum range (for fixed speed) is at 45° :smile:

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should calculate the range based on the different values of g on Earth and on the Moon.
    Assume arbitrary velocity v and angle theta.

You will find out when you finish your calculations whether the velocity and/or angle impact the answer to the question.

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've left a very important term of that equation.
    (It's obviously wrong because the dimensions don't match. You have a distance on one side and the square of a velocity on the other.)

6. Jan 16, 2014 #5
    I carelessly left out the time variable, t.

7. Jan 16, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that's not what's missing. Check where you got that equation from.

8. Jan 16, 2014 #7
    It has been corrected: sx = [vxi^2 sinΘ]/g after having derived it from the trajectory equation.

9. Jan 16, 2014 #8
    Capture.JPG

10. Jan 16, 2014 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, and from that you can see that the distance is inversely proportional to the strength of gravity. So your guess was right: one sixth the gravity means 6 times the distance.

11. Jan 16, 2014 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation is wrong.

ehild

12. Jan 17, 2014 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah yes, good catch. There's a 2 missing, right?

13. Jan 17, 2014 #12
    I noticed. It ought to be sin^2θ

14. Jan 17, 2014 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not quite.

15. Jan 17, 2014 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The time of flight is t=2viy/g=2visin(θ)/g. The horizontal displacement during that time is sx=vicos(θ)t= 2vi2cos(θ)sin(θ)/g=[vi2sin(2θ)]/g. With a given initial speed, maximum range is at θ=45°.

Do not use vix in the formula for sx.

ehild

16. Jan 17, 2014 #15
    Are you sure?

I managed to obtain the right answer. I have poor memorizing abilities and as such I derive equations I require(very time consuming).

The formula I derived is x = [2vxi^2sin45°]/g

This enables me to obtain vxi. After which I use the above formula to determine the x-displacement on the moon.

17. Jan 17, 2014 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wonder how you got that formula...

ehild

18. Jan 17, 2014 #17
    Capture.JPG

it works fine...

19. Jan 17, 2014 #18

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  20. Jan 17, 2014 #19
    I have used my own arbitrary label of the variables but they essentially implies the same thing.
    In my formula, I determine the time taken for the particle to travel from xi to xf.
    The time taken for particle to be displaced from xi - xf can be substituted into the y-displacement equation to determine the displacement of the particle along the y-axis-this allows me to determine the x and y coordinate of the particle at a given time.
    Simplifying the equation where t = sx/ vicosΘ into the y = visinΘ-0.5gt^2 produces a quadratic equation which allows me to determine the 2 possible x-coordinate of the particle where y = 0 since the trajectory has a parabolic characteristic.

In simplifying further, I obtain x = 2vi^2sinΘ/g; given 3 known variables, I can find the one unknown.

I saw the reasoning in the link you provided. The reasoning in the link begins by using the y-displacement equation to determine the time taken for the particle to be displaced from yi to yi. Then it subs that amount of time into the x-displacement equation to determine the horizontal range the particle travels in that same amount of time.

As for the formula I used, I begin with determining the time taken for the particle to be displaced from xi -xf.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  21. Jan 17, 2014 #20

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what are vx and vy (or vxi and vyi) in your derivation?

That is correct.

That is still wrong.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted