Calculation to launch a golf ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy needed to build a launcher that will reach a target within a prism. The group is considering using a pendulum and has determined that a 45 degree angle is optimal. They also know the mass and coefficient of restitution of the golf ball, as well as the distance needed to reach the target. The conversation includes equations for calculating the distance and speed, and also mentions the use of the Law of Conservation of Energy. Ultimately, the group determines that a speed of 6.84 m/s is needed for the launcher and a speed of 8.57 m/s for the pendulum.
Maricalue
Hi,

I need your help. Is my calculation correct?

1. Homework Statement

We have to build a launcher that will be able to reach a target that is place anywhere in a prism 3m X 3m X 1m. The launcher have to used a golf ball and gravity as source of energy.

I am trying to calculate what we need as energy. :

-We are thinking about using a pendulum.

-We want it to hit the ball in a tube that we could control to adjust the angle of launching.​

We know :

-that we have to used 45 degrees to maximize our shot.

-that the ball golf as a coefficient of restitution of 0,83 and a mass of 45,9 g.

-that the longest distance we will have to reach will be at 1,5 m to the left or the right, 1 m from the ground and at 3 m from the launcher.​

We think of using a mass of 100g for our pendulum.

Homework Equations

By Pythagoras's theorem, we can calculate the distance we want to reach.

[itex]c^2 = a^2 + b^2[/itex]

Using cinematics equations, I have this :

[itex]x=V_ {xo} * t[/itex]

[itex]y=V_ {yo}* t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2[/itex]

The equation for a inelastic collision is :

[itex]V_ {2}=\frac{C_r m_1 V_1 + m_1 V_1}{m_1 + m_2} [/itex]

For the pendulum, we have the equations of the Law of the Conservation of energy

[itex] \frac{1}{2}mV^2= m g h[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we have an angle of 45 degrees, we know that the speed in x and in y will be the same and will be equal to :

[itex]V_ {xo}= V_ {yo} = V sin 45[/itex]

By Pythagora's, we know that we need to reach 3,35 m in X and 1 m in Y.

With the equations of cinematics, I've got :

[itex]V=\frac{x}{\sqrt{(\frac{2(x-y)}{g})}}[/itex]

and that give me [itex]V= 3,42 m/s[/itex]

After that, as I know that the ball golf as a coefficient of restitution of [itex]C_r = 0.83[/itex], I have calculate that I need a speed of [itex]V= 4.2896 m/s[/itex] with the equation of inelastic collision.

Finally, with the equations of the pendulum, I have calculate that I have to have a height of [itex]h = 0.937 m[/itex].Is that correct?
Thank you!
(Sorry if I have made any english errors)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maricalue said:
With the equations of cinematics, I've got :

V=x(2(xy)g)V=\frac{x}{\sqrt{(\frac{2(x-y)}{g})}}

and that give me V=3,42m/sV= 3,42 m/s
Where does the "2" come from in the 2(x - y) term inside square root? Can you show your derivation?

Note that for 45°, sin(45) = cos(45) = 1/√2.

It came from the isolation:
1- [itex]x=V_ {xo} * t[/itex]

2- [itex]y=V_ {yo}* t - \frac{1}{2} g t^2[/itex]

In the second equation, I replace t by [itex]t=\frac{x}{V_ {xo}}[/itex] and I replace [itex]V_ {xo} =V_ {yo}=Vsin45[/itex]

I now have :
[itex]y=\frac{Vsin45}{Vsin45}*x - \frac{1}{2} g (\frac{x}{Vsin45})^2[/itex]
And I isolate
[itex]y=x - \frac{1}{2} g (\frac{x}{Vsin45})^2[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2} g (\frac{x}{Vsin45})^2 = x-y[/itex]
[itex](\frac{x}{Vsin45})^2 = \frac{2(x-y)}{g}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{x}{Vsin45}) = \sqrt{\frac{2(x-y)}{g}}[/itex]
[itex]Vsin45 = \frac{x}{\sqrt{\frac{2(x-y)}{g}}}[/itex]
And now I realized I have forgotten the sin 45 so :
[itex]V = \frac{x}{\sqrt{\frac{2(x-y)}{g}}} * \frac{1}{sin45}[/itex]​

Okay. And sin(45) is 1/√2, so...

So I would need 6,84 m/s.
Then, because of the inelastic collision, I would have to have a speed of 8,57 m/s for my pendulum and a height of 3,7m??

Maricalue said:
So I would need 6,84 m/s.
That looks good.
Then, because of the inelastic collision, I would have to have a speed of 8,57 m/s for my pendulum and a height of 3,7m??
Hmm. I did the calculation quickly, but I didn't see a value that large: Something between 5 and 6 m/s.

1. How is the initial velocity of the golf ball calculated?

The initial velocity of the golf ball is calculated by using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the ball is launched.

2. What factors affect the distance the golf ball will travel?

The distance the golf ball will travel is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and wind speed and direction.

3. How do you calculate the optimal angle of launch for maximum distance?

The optimal angle of launch for maximum distance can be calculated using the formula θ = arctan(v² / (2gh)), where θ is the angle of launch, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the ball is launched.

4. How does the weight of the golf ball affect its launch?

The weight of the golf ball affects its launch by influencing its initial velocity and trajectory. A heavier ball will have a lower initial velocity and may not travel as far as a lighter ball, but it may be less affected by wind resistance.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the distance a golf ball will travel?

Yes, the distance a golf ball will travel can be calculated using the formula d = (v² sin 2θ) / g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.