How far can one change a model before it leaves the universality class

In summary, adding a next-nearest-neighbour hopping term does not change the critical behavior of the Ising model. The typical explanation is that the 'physics on scales much longer than the lattice spacing does not depend on these interactions'. Dimensionality is another factor, in addition to symmetry, that @A. Neumaiers mentioned. Increasing temperature would make the quantum version more classical.
thephystudent
Usually, critical phenomena can be categorized in some kind of universality class which determines the critical exponent.
A typical example is the class of the Ising model; adding a next-nearest-neighbour hopping term does not change the critical behavior. The typical explanation is that the 'physics on scales much longer than the lattice spacing does not depend on these interactions'. My question is: are there any rules of thumb that determine how far a model must be changed before it changes the universality class? And when it does so, will there be a continuous crossover?

A possibility would probably be adding some different arbitrary-range coupling terms in the Hamiltonian. But on the other hand, the Ising model as I described does not contain any explicit long-range terms, although this does not say that every local model is in the quantum-ising universality class...

Note: I know my question is also valid with classical PT, but I'm posting it in this subforum since the QPT is of most interest to me at the moment.

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Reducing the symmetry typically changes the universality class.

Likes thephystudent
atyy said:
In classical statistical mechanics, dimensionality is another factor, in addition to symmetry that @A. Neumaier mentioned.
But unlike symmetry, the dimension cannot be changed by adding interactions.

Thanks for your responses. I didn't know nLab before.

Regarding symmetry, what is precisely meant by it? According to nLab, the classical 2D ising has e.g. U-symmetry, whereas I thought is was Z_2 symmetry (which gets spontaneously broken in the ferromagnetic phase). But in fact, also the dimension corresponds to some symmetry (translational symmetry), right?

To answer A. Neumaiers point, what if you have for example a 2D lattice where the coupling is much stronger in the vertical direction than the horizontal direction... does this become effectively 1D? How much should this difference be, and is there some kind of intermediate window between the two classes than (with exponents that lie between the ones of 2D and 1D)?

Related to this it is very surprising that for many models, the quantum version in D dimensions is in the same class as the classical version in D+1 dimensions. But increasing temperature would make the quantum version also more classical, so how would the crossover look?

1. How is the universality class of a model determined?

The universality class of a model is determined by its critical exponents, which describe how the model behaves at a critical point. These exponents are universal, meaning they are independent of the specific details of the model and only depend on the dimensionality and symmetry of the system.

2. What is the significance of the universality class in studying phase transitions?

The universality class allows us to understand the behavior of a wide range of physical systems by studying a single representative model. This simplifies the study of phase transitions and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of other systems in the same universality class.

3. How far can one change a model before it leaves the universality class?

The universality class of a model is determined by its critical exponents, so any changes to the model that alter these exponents will cause it to leave the universality class. However, small changes to the model may not significantly affect the critical exponents and therefore may not change the universality class.

4. Can a model belong to multiple universality classes?

No, a model can only belong to one universality class. This is because the critical exponents are unique to each universality class and a model cannot simultaneously have different critical exponents.

5. How does the universality class of a model affect its behavior at a critical point?

The universality class determines the critical exponents of a model, which in turn determine the behavior of the model at a critical point. Models in the same universality class will exhibit the same critical behavior, such as power-law scaling, regardless of their specific details.