How Far Does a Ball Fall Vertically in Projectile Motion?

• Thread starter miamirulz29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of projectile motion and level horizontal range. The question asks for the vertical distance a ball will fall when thrown horizontally with a velocity of 96.9 mi/h and traveling 60ft. The equations Vx = Vxo + Axt and Y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2AyT^2 are mentioned, with the latter being the relevant one. The person is unsure which equation to use and asks for clarification. They eventually realize their mistake and correctly solve the problem.
miamirulz29
Projectile Motion and Level Horizontal Range.

Homework Statement

The acceleration of gravity is 32ft/s ^2.
If a pitch were thrown horizontally with a velocity of 96.9 mi/h, how far would the ball fall vertically by the time it reached home plate, 60ft away. Answer in units of ft.
So speed is 142.12 ft/s.

Homework Equations

Vx = Vxo + Axt
Y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2AyT^2 or Vy^2 = Vyo^2 + 2Ay(Y-Yo)

For the second equation, don't know which one to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the time it took to reach 60 feet by using the first equation. T= 4.441. I don't know where to go from there. I think I use this equation: Y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2AyT^2

but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Edit: actually t= .422 seconds.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

sorry

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking. Sorry to be such a pain.

Sorry, ok so you know how long it takes for the ball to get from release to home. It travels a distance in the -y direction in that time. Thats what your looking for.

using this equation: Y= Yo + VyoT + 1/2AyT^2, I got 57.151. That definitely is not right or is it?

probably not what are you using for Vy at t=0? and if y=0 at the pitchers release what direction is acceleration in the y direction?

I cannot figure out this problem. Maybe I got the time wrong. I don't even know what I'm looking for. Can somebody please clarify some stuff for me. I just want to know how to do it.

harvellt said:
probably not what are you using for Vy at t=0?

You mean Vyo, I used the original speed the ball was thrown, 142.12 feet/s. Is that wrong?

yes that is wrong. That is the Vox, what is the Voy if the ball is thrown horizontally?

zero?

yep, and then what is the acceleration of the ball?

OMG I just got it. Voy is 0! So it is -y = 1/2 (32) (.422)^2. Which gives me 2.849. Which is right in the computer. Thank you for your help!

no prob!

Related to How Far Does a Ball Fall Vertically in Projectile Motion?

What is the best approach to solving a physics problem?

The best approach to solving a physics problem is to first understand the concepts and principles involved in the problem. Then, analyze the given information and identify what is being asked. Finally, use appropriate equations and formulas to solve the problem step by step.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice is key. Work through various types of problems and try to understand the underlying principles and concepts. It is also helpful to work with others and discuss different approaches to solving problems.

What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the problem. Make sure you understand what is being asked and the given information. If needed, consult your textbook or notes for relevant equations and concepts. If you are still stuck, ask for help from a classmate, teacher, or online resources.

How can I check if my solution to a physics problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a physics problem is correct by going through your steps and calculations again. Make sure you are using the correct units and have followed the correct mathematical operations. You can also compare your answer to the expected result or ask for feedback from a classmate or teacher.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using incorrect units, not rounding to the appropriate number of significant figures, and not double-checking calculations. It is also important to ensure that your solution makes sense in the context of the problem and aligns with known physical laws and principles.