How Far Does the Camera Fall Before the Skydiver Catches It?

In summary, the problem is about a skydiver who accidentally drops a camera out of the plane. The diver notices the mistake 3.0s later and dives out of the plane with a downward velocity of 10.0 m/s. The camera experiences free fall (9.8 m/s^2), but the sky diver accelerates downwards at 8.0 m/s^2. The question is how far does the camera fall before the sky diver is able to catch it
Didn't you say you had all solved for (obviously except displacement)?
y=delta-d(displacement)

Physics news on Phys.org
yes thank you, i just realized i can now sub in my time in each of the motion equations, the camera and diver.

y=delta-d(displacement)

can you explaint this formula please? i thought y=displacement? lol

Sorry... I haven't bothered with LaTeX yet, basically what I typed was y=displacement, since the symbol for displacement is delta-d. Djeit's derivation had a mistake in it, try:

[tex]
(v_{i1}-v_{i2})t+\frac{1}{2}(a_{1}-a_{2})t^{2}=0
[/tex]

Last edited:
Hey I'm so sorry about my quadratic equation :S it was supposed to be [tex](v_{i1}-v_{i2})t+\frac{1}{2}(a_{1}-a_{2})t^{2}=0[/tex]

oh ok thank you guys very much

the original screwed me up so bad lol

Since it's for your class, you should be able to do this yourself. Make sure you get a lot of practice, test time won't let you use PF:smile:

All we did was simply group the like terms together. Make sure you're comfortable with this, because a question like this is bound to be on one of your tests. (From experience)

Regards,

Fragment

haha you're right. And yes there may be one of these, for the most part we are doing slightly less difficult ones, without the 3 second start difference.

what answer did you get with the corrected quadratic?

i think you guys are missing the fact that the camera was falling for 3 seconds already and traveled 44.1 m...and neither of those numbers appeared in the quadratic...wow I am nowhere near close to finishing this lol

I don't think I'm allowed to post an answer until you have first, that way I don't give out an easy solution. Did you manage to figure it out yourself?

Regards,

Fragment

i don't see why it would hurt, I would only gain from it.

but anyways, i got a time of 50 s from the quadratic, and need displacement still :(

im doing something wrong

Can you post your work so we can see where you went wrong? 50s is not correct. It would be very helpful:smile:

Fragment

I don't know how to do those fancy equations so, this is the best i can do

(0-10)t + 1/2 (9.8-8)t^2=0
-10t + 0.9t^2=0

if you sub that into the quadratic you get 50 or another number if you use the other root...

i also want to know where the 3 second delay of the diver comes into play in these equations...because I am not seeing it

[tex]
(v_{i1}-v_{i2})t+\frac{1}{2}(a_{1}-a_{2})t^{2}=0
[/tex]

Your numbers are wrong, that's why the quadratic gives you 50...
[tex]v_1[/tex] here is the first velocity of the camera, and you had found that yourself in your first post (29.4), so I don't know how you got 0 there. As for [tex]a1[/tex] and [tex]a2[/tex], they are your accelerations of the camera and of the diver, respectively. (9.8 and 8.0). Try again with those numbers.

Fragment

wouldnt initial velocity of the camera be 0?

if v1 is 29.4, what's v2?

10, since your diver had a velocity of 10.0m/s when he dove out of the plane...

ok i see,

v1 should still be 0, as 29.4 was its the cameras final velocity.

I got 22 s

That's not your final velocity. You are comparing velocities and accelerations of two objects in free-fall in an attempt to see where they cross. So 29.4m/s is the velocity that your camera had (at 3.0s) when the diver dove from the place. Thus it is clearly [tex]v_1[/tex]. Otherwise, let it be 0, and you will notice that [tex]v_2[/tex] also needs to be 0. This is where the 3.0s comes into play. I hope you see the logic in this.

Fragment

I think I get it, but the diver isn't in free fall...

was 22 s correct?

Correct.

I don't need to add the 3s?

and to get my displacement, do i use the numbers from the simplified quadratic in the displacement formula?

For the 3s, no. You don't need to because as I said, you're comparing the times. Our 22s says it takes 22s of free-fall for the objects to cross paths. The 3s was already accounted for when we supposed that [tex]v_1[/tex] was 29.4m/s.

For the displacement, you managed to figure out time, and since you know that,
[tex]
y=v_{i}t+ \frac{1}{2}at^{2}
[/tex]

You have your answer really, 22s tells you everything. Go ahead and try putting 22s in both [tex]y_1[/tex] and [tex]y_2[/tex], see what you get for both displacements...

Do you clearly understand everything we have done so far? It was pretty simple; in physics you need to pay good attention to what is happening, and to what numbers to use and where. :smile:

ok but like i said, not both objects are in free fall, only the camera..right?

What is your diver doing then?

8.0 m/s^2

free fall is 9.8

or does the 8.0 reach 9.8 anyway

what do you mean y2...in that equation there is only y

not sure what you meant by that

Ok, free-fall is any object not supported by anything, it is falling in the air, even if it was accelerating at 0.000001 m/s^2. They are BOTH in free-fall, just at different velocities. The diver will reach the camera because he had an initial velocity of 10.0m/s, and was accelerating by 8.0 m/s every second, so (8+10), then (8+8+10) and so on...
I strongly advise you look over your notes.

[tex]v_1[/tex] implies the equation for the camera, and 2 implies for the diver...
Fragment

lol

i understand now, never had that def of free fall in my notes surprisingly.

thank you

9.8 is the gravitational constant as well as the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (they're the same thing anyway). So since they are both in free-fall, we used both equations together to solve for time(substitution). After we had found time we could use it for find displacement, which I hope you see how to do...(Hint: Use the very first equations, see page.1)

Regards,

Fragment

644.6 m

Can you show your work please? I want to be sure you're using the right numbers.
Fragment

i subd in 22, 19.4, and .9 (acceleration)

In , [tex]
y=v_{i}t+ \frac{1}{2}at^{2}
[/tex]?

yes.

You aren't thinking of what is happening. 19.4 and 0.9 are not the numbers you need to use right now. Think about: What is the velocity of the camera, what is its acceleration?