Overlooking something, Need Help

• Thread starter timpn86
  • Start date
In summary, the first conversation is about an Olympic diver stepping off a 10m high diving board and coming to rest in the water 1.7s after entering it. The task is to determine the velocity at which the diver hits the water and the average acceleration of the diver in the water. The second conversation is about a baseball being dropped and observed to pass a 3.0ft long open window in 0.20s. The task is to find the velocity at the top and bottom of the window, and the height from which the object was dropped.
timpn86

Homework Statement

2. An Olympic diver steps off of a 10. m high diving board, plunges into the water and comes to rest beneath the surface of the water 1.7 s after entering it. a) Determine the velocity at which the diver hits the water. b) Determine the average acceleration of the diver in the water.

Homework Equations

i got to determine the final velocity at which the swimmer reaches the water that in turn will be the initial velocity at which the swimmer enters the water.

equations are attached

The Attempt at a Solution

Falling
vi = 0 m/s
vf =
a = 9.8 m/s2
t =
s = 10m

In water

Vi =
Vf = 0 m/s
a =
t = 1.7 s
s =

Homework Statement

A baseball is observed to drop downwards past a 3.0 ft long open window in 0.20 s. a) Find its velocity at the top of the window. b) Find its velocity at the bottom of the window. c) Find how high above the top of the window the object was dropped.

Homework Equations

equations attached

The Attempt at a Solution

3ft x .3048 = .9144m

From Drop
vi = 0m/s
vf =
a = 9.8m/s2
t =
s =

Top of Window
vi =
vf =
a = 9.8m/s2
t = .2s
s = .9144m

i was able to finish all 7 other problems on the page but these 2. What am i overlooking?

Attachments

• equations.jpg
    equations.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi timpm,welcome to PF.
Since you have solved the rest of the problem, show some attempt of these two problems. Let me see wher you are stuck.

for first problem, i think you are proceeding in right direction. since height 10m is given, you can find the final velocity before striking water. let it be V.

so avg. acceleration is V/1.7

haha thanks rl.bhat... upon reviewing the problem thurther i was able to find what i missed.

Hello, it seems like you have made some progress on both problems, but there are a few things you may have overlooked. For the first problem with the Olympic diver, you correctly identified that the initial velocity is 0 m/s and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. However, you have not calculated the final velocity at which the diver reaches the water. To do this, you can use the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. You have all the values except for vf, so you can solve for it using this equation.

For the second problem with the baseball, you correctly converted the window height from feet to meters, but you have not used this value in your calculations. To find the initial velocity at the top of the window, you can use the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. In this case, the final velocity is 0 m/s, the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2, and the time is 0.2 seconds. You can solve for vi using this equation. Similarly, to find the velocity at the bottom of the window, you can use the same equation, but this time the initial velocity is the one you just calculated and the final velocity is what you need to find.

Lastly, to find how high above the top of the window the object was dropped, you can use the equation s = vit + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. In this case, the displacement is the height of the window, the initial velocity is what you just calculated, and the time is 0.2 seconds. You can solve for s using this equation.

I hope this helps you complete the problems successfully. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck!

1. How can I prevent myself from overlooking important details in my research?

To prevent overlooking important details in your research, it is important to have a clear plan and organization in place. Make sure to thoroughly review your work and take breaks to come back with a fresh perspective. Collaborating with others and seeking feedback can also help catch any overlooked details.

2. What should I do if I realize I have overlooked something in my experiment?

If you realize you have overlooked something in your experiment, it is important to address it as soon as possible. Take notes on the issue and determine if it can be fixed or if you need to start over. Consult with other experts in your field for advice on how to proceed.

3. How can I improve my attention to detail in my scientific work?

To improve your attention to detail in scientific work, you can try using checklists or double-checking your work. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work for any overlooked details. Practicing mindfulness and staying focused can also improve your attention to detail.

4. What are some common mistakes that lead to overlooking important information?

Common mistakes that lead to overlooking important information include rushing through work, lack of organization, and not seeking feedback from others. Other factors such as fatigue, distractions, and multitasking can also contribute to overlooking important details.

5. How can I overcome the frustration of realizing I have overlooked something in my research?

Overcoming the frustration of realizing you have overlooked something in your research can be challenging, but it's important to stay calm and focused. Take a break to clear your mind and come back with a fresh perspective. Seek support from colleagues or a mentor to help you address the issue and move forward with your research.