• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How far does the car travel? Uniform acceleration.

• Thread starter AVReidy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A car accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 23.2 km/h in 5.4s. Find the distance it travels during this time. Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(vi + vf)t

vf = vi + at

vf2 = vi2 + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used each one of these equations, sometimes in combination, and every time I reach the answer 1044m, which is wrong. I think the problem lies not in which equations I use, but in the way I set them up. Here's one way:

23.2km/hr = 23,200/60 = 386.7 m/s
[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(vi + vf)t
[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 1/2(0 + 386.7)(5.4)

I'm really stuck on this one and would really really really appreciate some help. I don't see what I'm doing wrong, because I've always arrived at the same answer (1044m) no matter which way I solve for it. This makes me think I'm using the wrong initial velocity or something like that.

Thank you so much!

Edit: I have also solved for acceleration and plugged it in. I got 71.6 m/s2. After using acceleration in one of the equations, I still got 1044m.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I haven't gone through the whole problem but I see at least one part that is not correct.

"...23.2km/hr = 23,200/60 = 386.7 m/s..."

Look at your conversion factor going from hours to seconds.

Thank you very much :smile:

Do you know if this problem requires that I find acceleration?

You are very welcome.

Thank you very much :smile:

Do you know if this problem requires that I find acceleration?
No, it would not. But convince yourself of that. Take one of the equations that uses velocity only to find the displacement, and use one that uses the acceleration and compare the answer you get.

The answer was 17.28m. Thank you all for being so helpful!

Unfortunately, that was one of the easiest problems I have to do, and I didn't get that one because of a conversion mistake.

Time to hurt my brain on a problem with systems of equations and quadratic stuff (It sucks being in honors physics while just starting to take algebra II).