1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far has it traveled in this time?

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I need help on this one hw problem.

A 747 jetliner lands and begins to slow to a stop as it moves along the runway. If its mass is 3.50 x 10^5 kg, its speed is 27.0 m/s, and the net breaking force is 4.30 x 10^5 N,

a) what is it speed 7.50s later
    b) How far has it traveled in this time?

I don't know what equation or formula to use. I also don't know how to relate the force into the problem. The only thing that I know is the accerleration is zero because the jet is breaking.

Can someone please help me on what equation I should use to slove for the answer,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And the "only thing you know" is very wrong.

The acceleration is not zero. If acceleration were zero, then the jet would maintain a constant velocity.

Do you have the mass of the jet? Do you have the "net force" on the jet? (Yes you do). Does "Newton's Second Law of Motion" ring a bell?
  4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    ok so
    the accerleration= 1.22 m/s square

can I use
    (x=finial y postion) = (Xo=initial y postion) + (Vox= initial velocity of X component)(t=time) + 1/2(a=accerleration)(t=time)square

X = Xo + Voxt + 1/2 a t^2

Can I use this to find where the jet is at 7.5 second later?
  5. Sep 10, 2006 #4
    Newton's Second Law is F=ma, hence a=m/F, giving a value of 0.81m/s squared in this case.
    Now you can use v=u+at for part a) where u=27m/s, a=0.81 and t=7.5.
    For part b) you could use the formula s=ut+0.5a(t^2). Hope that helps.
  6. Sep 10, 2006 #5
    Oops sorry your acceleration value is correct, my mistake. Everything else should be ok, sorry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?