Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast do you read? WPM!

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/technology-research-centers/ereaders/speed-reader/

This site offers a test so that you can get an estimation of how fast you read!

Apparently the world champion of speed reading can read 4700 wpm, I think that person has a photographic memory or something.

So how fast did you read? I got 200 at first lol, then 450 when I put a bit of pressure on myself. I'd be interested seeing what the smart people of physics forum got.

Have a nice day :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2
    I managed to get 785... I dont know how accurate the test is but apparently thats pretty good haha:)

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    Wow that's awesome! Do you sub-vocalize while you read? Tell me yer secrets!

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

201. I had to reread many sentences as my English is so weak that they didn't sound grammatically correct sentences while of course they were.
    I understood almost nothing of the text. :/

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

283 per minute, rather slower than if the text had been in Norwegian, I think.

7. Dec 1, 2013 #6
    I got 345. Apparently, I'm slower than most people in my grade. :rofl:

8. Dec 1, 2013 #7
    Honestly reading quickly comes from reading a lot more often, you start to pick up ways your own ways to read faster( one trick I use that I think works for only me or some other people Is when I'm reading I usually plug in words which I think the author is going to use after another word... Its complicated but it works haha:] ). The only big problem of mine though is when I think of something during reading and it ends up distracting me and I have to reread the page.

A couple tips, read often and be in a quiet environment it helps you focus a lot better and thus helps you read a bit faster.

:) practice, practice, practice thats the key to anything.

9. Dec 1, 2013 #8
    I got 386 which is apparently slower than most college graduates.

10. Dec 1, 2013 #9
    You read 1,548 words per minute.
    That makes you 519% faster than the national average.

Hooked on phonics

11. Dec 1, 2013 #10
    What in the hell how thats unreal !

12. Dec 1, 2013 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You read 832 words per minute.
    That makes you 233% faster than the national average.

(I've actually been feeling relatively cognitively impaired of late owing to a chronic condition - a few months back I could've done much better).

13. Dec 2, 2013 #12
    I got 261 WPM. I'm as fast as an 8th grader. =)

14. Dec 2, 2013 #13
    545 wpm
    Not true. I can and have read Sorcerer's Stone in 1h 27min. I am getting slower...
    EDIT: there seems to be another test after that...1345 wpm alice in the wonderland I have read the page a hundred times.

15. Dec 2, 2013 #14
    10 words per minute.

16. Dec 2, 2013 #15
    Were these the ones?
    • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    • Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism
    • Floccinaucinihilipilification
    • Antidisestablishmentarianism
    • Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    • hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian
    • Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
    • Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic
    • Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon
    • deinstitutionalization

17. Dec 2, 2013 #16

adjacent

Gold Member

You read 312 words per minute.
    That makes you 25% faster than the national average.

I could have read more than 100 words if it were not meant for understanding it.

:) Faster than average adults hahah

18. Dec 2, 2013 #17
    Not really. I retook the test. The second time, I got a different result. It happened to be the same passage.

Attached Files:

• Win.JPG
      Win.JPG
      File size:
      17.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Dec 2, 2013 #18

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to their chart speed readers do 1500 so that's apparently typical for people who practice.

I got 821 but have to admit that I was a little hesitant about the questions they asked me at the end!

20. Dec 2, 2013 #19
    How do they do it? Like speed readers must just snapshot the page in their mind haha!

21. Dec 2, 2013 #20
    So what do different results mean?

Do they have anything to do, for example, with the ability to understand complex abstract theories. to understand complex mathematics??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook