How fast does convergence have to be

• Thread starter gottfried
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the series 1/K and 1/K1+ϵ for all ϵ>0. The concept of Cauchy condensation test is mentioned as a rigorous way to determine the required rate of convergence. The conversation also touches upon the Riemann zeta function and the concept of limits of sequences in relation to the convergence of series. The integral test is highlighted as a way to prove convergence. The faulty argument that any infinite sum with terms approaching zero will converge is also addressed. Ultimately, the conversation points to the importance of understanding the relative magnitudes of terms when discussing convergence.
gottfried
Reading through a real analysis textbook I noticed that [itex]\sum[/itex] 1/K
diverges but [itex]\sum[/itex] 1/K1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex] converges for all [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0.

This is confusing because 1/k will eventually be equally as small as the terms in 1/K1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex] and therefore it should also converge. It may take much longer but surely the numbers eventually become equally small and adding more on becomes pointless.

I also saw that one can prove this using the integral test but the integral test isn't the 'decider' there must a more rigorous reason.

Essentially what I'm asking is who or what mathematical concept determined the required rate for convergence because it seems arbitrary to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gottfried said:
I also saw that one can prove this using the integral test but the integral test isn't the 'decider' there must a more rigorous reason.

Essentially what I'm asking is who or what mathematical concept determined the required rate for convergence because it seems arbitrary to me.

See Cauchy condensation test.

Your specific example is related to the Riemann zeta function, which has a pole a s=1.

gottfried said:
This is confusing because 1/k will eventually be equally as small as the terms in 1/K1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex] and therefore it should also converge. It may take much longer but surely the numbers eventually become equally small and adding more on becomes pointless.
Using that faulty argument, any infinite sum having terms approaching zero, will converge.
You can start with the mathematical concept of a finite sum. For example, you can easily verify that finite partial sums of the harmonic series can exceed any given number, so there should be no talk of convergence in that case.

The concept is limits of sequences. In the case of series, the sequences are the partial sums. If you have that epsilon, then the sequence of partial sums converges to a number. Without the epsilon, the sequence does not converge because it grows without bound. And the integral test is the "decider" because it can be used to prove those statements.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(mathematics)) for a few good explanations (including a picture that explains the integral test) for why it diverges.

Last edited:
"This is confusing because 1/k will eventually be equally as small as the terms in 1/K1+ϵ and therefore it should also converge."

This is conletely wrong!

If you look at the RELATIVE magnitudes of like terms, this will go as (1/K)ê, i.e, go to zero.
Thus, as K increases, the terms in the convergent sequence converges much faster to zero than for the harmonic series.

1. How is convergence defined in science?

In science, convergence refers to the process by which two or more separate entities or systems become more similar or come together to form a common outcome or result. This can occur in various fields such as biology, technology, and economics.

2. Why is the speed of convergence important?

The speed of convergence is important because it can greatly impact the efficiency, effectiveness, and applicability of a particular process or system. A faster convergence can lead to quicker and more accurate results, while a slower convergence may result in delays and errors.

3. What factors affect the speed of convergence?

The speed of convergence can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the complexity of the systems or entities involved, the strength and frequency of interactions between them, and the presence of external factors or barriers that may impede the process.

4. How is the speed of convergence measured?

The speed of convergence is typically measured by the rate at which the systems or entities in question become more similar or achieve a common outcome. This can be quantified using various methods such as mathematical models, experimental observations, or statistical analysis.

5. What are the potential implications of a slow convergence?

A slow convergence can have various implications depending on the context. In some cases, it may lead to inefficiencies and delays in achieving desired outcomes. In other cases, a slow convergence may indicate underlying issues or obstacles that need to be addressed in order to facilitate a more successful process.