Ranges and Radius of convergence

In summary, the given expression converges for values of x between -3 and 3, and diverges for values outside of this range. The radius of convergence is 3, as determined by the ratio test. This means that for complex numbers, the expression converges within a circle with a radius of 3 units centered at the origin. The use of the ratio test was correct in determining the convergence and radius of convergence.
tmt1
Supposing I have this expression:

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{3^n}$$

and I need to find the values for x for which this converges and the radius of convergence.

I can use the radius test:

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} |\frac{{x}^{(n + 1)} 3^n}{{3}^{(n + 1)} x^n}|$$

and this equals

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} |\frac{x}{3}| = |\frac{x}{3}|$$

We need to compare the answer to 1, so if $ |\frac{x}{3}| > 1$ then it diverges, and if $ |\frac{x}{3}| < 1$ then it converges.

Thus, if $-3 < x < 3$, then the original sum converges and if $x > 3$ or $x < -3$ then the original sum diverges.

So it converges for $(-3, 3)$.

Also, we should consider the values of $-3$ and $3$.

$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{3^n}{3^n}$ equals $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1^n$ which diverges.

And $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-3)^n}{3^n}$ equals $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} (-1)^n$ which diverges.

Therefore, the original sum still converges for the values of $x = (-3, 3)$.

Is this correct?

Also, apparently the radius equals $3$, but I'm not sure why that is (or why it's not $-3$, for example)

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
Supposing I have this expression:

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{3^n}$$

and I need to find the values for x for which this converges and the radius of convergence.

I can use the radius test:

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} |\frac{{x}^{(n + 1)} 3^n}{{3}^{(n + 1)} x^n}|$$

and this equals

$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} |\frac{x}{3}| = |\frac{x}{3}|$$

We need to compare the answer to 1, so if $ |\frac{x}{3}| > 1$ then it diverges, and if $ |\frac{x}{3}| < 1$ then it converges.

Thus, if $-3 < x < 3$, then the original sum converges and if $x > 3$ or $x < -3$ then the original sum diverges.

So it converges for $(-3, 3)$.

Also, we should consider the values of $-3$ and $3$.

$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{3^n}{3^n}$ equals $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1^n$ which diverges.

And $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-3)^n}{3^n}$ equals $\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} (-1)^n$ which diverges.

Therefore, the original sum still converges for the values of $x = (-3, 3)$.

Is this correct?

Also, apparently the radius equals $3$, but I'm not sure why that is (or why it's not $-3$, for example)

What you have used is called the "ratio test", not the "radius test". But what you have done is completely correct, well done.

Yes, the radius of convergence is 3. We have no confirmation that x has to be a real number. If it is complex then we have convergence where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |x| < 3 \end{align*}$, which in the complex plane is all the points that are less than 3 units away from 0 + 0i in the complex plane, in other words, a CIRCLE, which has a radius of 3 units.

What is the definition of range of convergence?

The range of convergence refers to the values of the variable for which a power series converges. In other words, it is the set of all values of the variable that will result in a finite value for the series.

How is the range of convergence determined?

The range of convergence can be determined by using various tests such as the ratio test or the root test. These tests help determine the values of the variable for which the series converges.

What is the significance of the range of convergence?

The range of convergence is important because it tells us which values of the variable will result in a valid solution for the series. It also helps us determine the interval of convergence, which is the set of all values within the range of convergence that will result in a convergent series.

What is the difference between the range of convergence and the radius of convergence?

The range of convergence is a set of values for which the series converges, while the radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series diverges. In other words, the radius of convergence is the boundary of the range of convergence.

Can the range of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the range of convergence can be infinite. This means that the series will converge for all values of the variable. However, it is more common for the range of convergence to be a finite interval.