How fast does light travel from sun to Saturn equation

In summary, the distance between the sun and Saturn is approx. 8.9x10^8 mi. the speed of light is approx. 1.9x10^5 miles per second. it takes light about 8.9x10^8 seconds to travel from the sun to Saturn.
_emmakala
1. the distance between the sun and Saturn is approx. 8.9x10^8 mi. The speed of light is approx. 1.9x10^5 miles per second.
How long does it take light to travel from the sun to Saturn?
Answer in units of seconds.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have tried multiplying the two, dividing the two, and adding the two, and converting. I am utterly lost, and would appreciate any help anyone could offer! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Time * Speed = Distance

So:

Time = ?

_emmakala said:
I have tried multiplying the two, dividing the two, and adding the two, and converting.

I don't advise trying to get the answer randomly (by random, I mean, without logic)

There are simply wayyy toooo many options that it is very unlikely you will find the answer that way
(and what about when you don't have an answer sheet?)

Ok, so assuming I kinda understand now, would I set up the equation like T x 1.9x10^5miles/sec = 8.9x10^8 miles? Then divide the speed and the distance to get time?

It's like this: I'm 10 miles from town. I'm walking at 2 miles per hour. How many hours will it take me to walk 10 miles?

_emmakala said:
Ok, so assuming I kinda understand now, would I set up the equation like T x 1.9x10^5miles/sec = 8.9x10^8 miles? Then divide the speed and the distance to get time?

Your equation is correct. Your idea of dividing them is a correct one as well, but it is not clear where you got it from, so it is hard to tell if you found it in some systematic way (always preferred) or just by randomly juggling (which occasionally gives correct results).

Please elaborate on why you did it this way.

When you have no idea how to proceed, one thing to try is to look at the units of the things you know and the thing you are looking for. There will often be only one way to combine the things you know to get what you are looking for. Here, you know the speed (L/T), and the distance (L), and you are looking for the time (T) (with L being length and T being time, in whatever system of units you are using). How can you combine L/T and L in order to end up with T?

1. How is the speed of light calculated?

The speed of light is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for light to travel that distance. This value is known as the speed of light constant, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How far is the distance between the sun and Saturn?

The distance between the sun and Saturn varies depending on their positions in their orbits. On average, the distance is about 1.43 billion kilometers or 890 million miles.

3. What is the equation for calculating the time it takes for light to travel from the sun to Saturn?

The equation used to calculate the time it takes for light to travel from the sun to Saturn is: Time = Distance / Speed of Light. Since the distance and speed of light are constantly changing, this equation will yield different results depending on the specific values used.

4. How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to Saturn?

On average, it takes about 80 minutes for light to travel from the sun to Saturn. However, this time can vary slightly due to the changing distances between the two objects.

5. Can light travel faster or slower than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. It is considered a fundamental constant in physics and cannot be exceeded by any object or force.