Calculating Sun Mass Loss Over Time Using E=mc^2

In summary: It looks like the calculations and reasoning are correct. The percentage decrease of the Sun's mass over its total lifetime of 10 billion years is 0.007%.In summary, the Sun's luminosity is produced by the 3.8 × 10^26 Joules of energy it emits each second. Using the equation E=mc^2, the mass lost per second by the Sun is 4.22807 x 10^9 kg. After converting 10 billion years to seconds and multiplying the mass lost per second by this number, the result is 1.3342478e+27 kg. Dividing this by the Sun's initial mass (1.99 x 10^30 kg) and multiplying by
bobo1455
I am working on a question: Doing this, the Sun produces it luminosity, the 3.8 × 10^26 Joules
of energy it emits each second. Use this information to determine the percentage decrease of
the Sun’s mass over its total lifetime of 10 billion years.

It's a multiple choice question and each answer is a ratio, as in the mass I calculate divided by the Sun's mass (from what I believe it to be)

Here's what I attempted:

My first thought was to use the equation E=mc^2 and I used E = 3.8 x 10^26 Joules and c = speed of light constant and then I solved for mass and got: 4.22807 x 10^9 kg

So I assume the answer I got is the mass that is lost per second by the Sun. So then I converted 10 billions years to seconds and multiplied the mass I got previously by this number (3.15569 x 10^17) and the result was 1.3342478e+27 kg

Then I took this result (1.3342478e+27 kg) and divided by Sun's mass and got 0.0006 which is not an answer choice at all.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your calculations are correct but the reasoning is off a bit. I think you need to do the comparison with what the sun's mass was at the beginning of its lifetime. So the percent decrease is from this initial mass, compared to the final mass after 10 billion years.

They want it expressed as a percent, not as a fraction.

How would I express it as a percent? I thought that's what I did, take the smaller one and divide it by the total, this gives you a percent right

bobo1455 said:
How would I express it as a percent? I thought that's what I did, take the smaller one and divide it by the total, this gives you a percent right
That gives you a fraction. To get a percent, you must multiply by 100. (For example: 1/2 = 50 percent.)

If I multiply 0.0006 by 100, I get 0.006%, which is close to one of the answers (0.007%) but it's still off by 0.001%, so not sure if it is correct or not. Going to try to solve using initial mass of sun as a different number

bobo1455 said:
If I multiply 0.0006 by 100, I get 0.006%, which is close to one of the answers (0.007%) but it's still off by 0.001%, so not sure if it is correct or not. Going to try to solve using initial mass of sun as a different number
Check your arithmetic and don't round off until the end.

I can't find the mass of the Sun at the beginning of its lifetime? What is the number?

bobo1455 said:
I can't find the mass of the Sun at the beginning of its lifetime? What is the number?
Just Google the mass of the sun. That's all you need.

Doc Al said:
Just Google the mass of the sun. That's all you need.

Or work it out using the same methodology, knowing that the Sun's age is currently estimated to be ~4.57 billion years.

You could backtrack provided you know the current age of the sun and its "date of birth" in terms of X billion years ago and determine its lost mass over the years.

the mass I googled is 1.99 x 10^30 and I already have used this to calculate the answer to be 0.007%, so I think I got it.

bobo1455 said:
the mass I googled is 1.99 x 10^30 and I already have used this to calculate the answer to be 0.007%, so I think I got it.
Good!

1. How is the mass of the sun calculated using the equation E=mc^2?

The mass of the sun can be calculated using the famous equation E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. By knowing the value of c, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, and the amount of energy released by the sun, scientists can solve for the mass of the sun.

2. What is the value of c in the equation E=mc^2?

The value of c in the equation E=mc^2 represents the speed of light, which is a constant value in the theory of relativity. Its exact value is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. How does E=mc^2 relate to the mass-energy equivalence?

E=mc^2 is a representation of the mass-energy equivalence, which is a fundamental principle in physics that states that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another. This equation shows the relationship between the two by equating the energy released (E) to the mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2).

4. Can E=mc^2 be used to calculate the mass of other celestial bodies?

Yes, E=mc^2 can be used to calculate the mass of any object that releases energy, including celestial bodies like stars. However, the equation is most commonly used to calculate the mass of the sun, as it is the closest and most well-studied star to our planet.

5. Are there any limitations to using E=mc^2 to calculate the mass of the sun?

While E=mc^2 is a widely accepted and used equation, there are some limitations to its application in calculating the mass of the sun. These limitations include the assumptions made about the energy released by the sun and the accuracy of the measurement of the speed of light. Additionally, factors such as the sun's internal structure and composition can also affect the accuracy of the calculated mass using this equation.