1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast is the edge of the yo-yo spinning in mph

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!
    I am trying to solve the exercise, but I don't see my mistakes - I can't come up with a correct answer.
    The exercise from the begging of trigonometry, so it has to be solved using concepts of a speed and angular velocity.

A yo-yo which is 2.25 inches in diameter spins at a rate of 4500 revolutions per minute. How

fast is the edge of the yo-yo spinning in miles per hour? Round your answer to two decimal

places.

2. Relevant equations
    Here is how I am trying to solve it:
    v = r x w,
    where v is the speed, r radius, w is the average angular velocity, which equals to

w = 2π x f, where f is the frequency of revolutions and equals to number of revolutions / time

3. The attempt at a solution
    Putting it all together I get:

r = 2.250 / 2 = 1.225
    number of revolutions in one hour 4500 х 60 = 270 000
    w = 2π × 270 000 = 1 695 600
    v = 1.225 x 1 695 600 = 2 077 110 inches in one hour

Convert to miles:
    2 077 110 / 63 360 = 32.78 miles per hour

But it should be 30.12 miles per hour.

Please, help me to find my mistake.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Vital, :welcome:

It is always a good idea to estimate answers before typing them in on a calculator
    But in this case it may have been a simple oversight ?
    No it is not.

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3
    Oh! Yes. It is a typo, which has gone through all calculations. And I actually do this type of calculations manually (some in mind, and others, with bigger numbers, on paper).
    Thank you very much. Indeed an awkward situation. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted