How fast is the edge of the yo-yo spinning in mph

In summary, the conversation was about solving a trigonometry exercise involving a yo-yo spinning at a rate of 4500 revolutions per minute. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the speed using the formula v = r * w, where v is the speed, r is the radius, and w is the angular velocity. However, a typo in the calculation resulted in an incorrect answer. The conversation ended with a corrected solution of 30.12 miles per hour.
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am trying to solve the exercise, but I don't see my mistakes - I can't come up with a correct answer.
The exercise from the begging of trigonometry, so it has to be solved using concepts of a speed and angular velocity.

A yo-yo which is 2.25 inches in diameter spins at a rate of 4500 revolutions per minute. How

fast is the edge of the yo-yo spinning in miles per hour? Round your answer to two decimal

places.

Homework Equations

Here is how I am trying to solve it:
v = r x w,
where v is the speed, r radius, w is the average angular velocity, which equals to

w = 2π x f, where f is the frequency of revolutions and equals to number of revolutions / time

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting it all together I get:

r = 2.250 / 2 = 1.225
number of revolutions in one hour 4500 х 60 = 270 000
w = 2π × 270 000 = 1 695 600
v = 1.225 x 1 695 600 = 2 077 110 inches in one hour

Convert to miles:
2 077 110 / 63 360 = 32.78 miles per hour

But it should be 30.12 miles per hour.

Please, help me to find my mistake.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Vital, :welcome:

It is always a good idea to estimate answers before typing them in on a calculator
But in this case it may have been a simple oversight ?
Vital said:
r = 2.250 / 2 = 1.225
No it is not.

BvU said:
Hello Vital, :welcome:

It is always a good idea to estimate answers before typing them in on a calculator
But in this case it may have been a simple oversight ?
No it is not.

Oh! Yes. It is a typo, which has gone through all calculations. And I actually do this type of calculations manually (some in mind, and others, with bigger numbers, on paper).
Thank you very much. Indeed an awkward situation. :)

New PF member has been reminded not to post solutions to homework. This thread is over a year old, though, so their soltuion will be left visible.
Hello Vital,

Some typo error could be quite annoying, it would be good for others if we could make some corrections to your solution.
I made some definition to some numbers in the question as to make simple.

v = r * ω
v = r * θ/t
v = linear velocity
r = radius
t = time

ω = 4500 revolution per minute
1 minute = 1/60 hour
ω = θ / t
ω = angular velocity

ω = 4500 * 2π radians / 1/60 hour = 540,000 π radians/hour
ω = 540,000 * 3.14 = 1,695,600

d = 2.25 inches
r = d/2 = 2.25/2 = 1.125 inches
63360 inches = 1 mile

r = 1.125/ 63360 miles

linear velocity = r * ω = 1.125/63360 * 1695600 = 1.125 * 26.764 = 30.12

Thank you

1. How is the speed of the edge of a yo-yo measured?

The speed of the edge of a yo-yo is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or rotations per second (RPS). This is done by counting the number of times the yo-yo makes a full rotation in a given unit of time.

2. Can the speed of the edge of a yo-yo vary?

Yes, the speed of the edge of a yo-yo can vary depending on factors such as the force applied, the weight of the yo-yo, and the type of string used. It can also vary as the yo-yo moves through different stages of its movement, such as the throw, the sleep, and the return.

3. What is the average speed of the edge of a yo-yo?

The average speed of the edge of a yo-yo can vary, but it is typically around 10-15 mph for basic yo-yo tricks. However, for more advanced tricks that involve longer throws and multiple rotations, the speed can reach up to 45 mph.

4. Can the speed of the edge of a yo-yo be increased?

Yes, the speed of the edge of a yo-yo can be increased by applying more force when throwing the yo-yo, using a lighter yo-yo, or using a slicker string material. However, there is a limit to how fast the yo-yo can spin based on its design and physics.

5. Does the speed of the edge of a yo-yo affect its performance?

Yes, the speed of the edge of a yo-yo can greatly affect its performance. A faster spinning yo-yo can perform more advanced tricks and have a longer sleep time. However, it also requires more skill and control to maneuver at higher speeds.