How Fast Will You Return to Dining After Getting Vaxed?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the one question kyphysics is struggling with is whether or not it's safe to return to in-door dining after fully vaccinating oneself and one's loved ones. The author feels it "still feels weird" to do so, largely because of the elevated risk of virus transmission in such settings. However, the author recognizes that the risk of contracting COVID and complications is very low for those who are vaccinated, and ultimately decides that it is still worth wearing a mask when dining in-doors. Additionally, the author notes that although the majority of people still wear masks when dining in-doors, there are still a significant number of unvaccinated individuals in the population. This, the author argues, makes it necessary
kyphysics
This is the one question I'm struggling with when it comes to post-vax activity. I'm fully vaxed and so are all of my loved ones.

I haven't returned to in-door dining yet, though. It still "feels weird" after abstaining for so long and I recognize that in those settings you have: a.) some people unvaxed; and b.) a relatively (to other settings) higher risk of virus transmission (with people removing masks to eat, touching table condiments, closed air circulation, etc.).

I know the risk of getting COVID and complications are super low for the vaxed. Yet, it still feels weird - maybe out of mental habit - to go to a place without my mask in-doors. I've gotten take-out before, but haven't dined in still. Wondering how fast others are returning to their pre-COVID routines since getting vaxed (esp. dining in-doors)?

Does anyone have fears or maybe just this weird "mental habit" that is hard to break (of avoiding crowds and always wearing a mask still)? I feel like I trained my brain to do certain things that are now hard to suddenly relax from. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
It feels a bit weird at first, yeah, but you quickly get used to it. We wear masks on the way in and out. No one is wearing them at the tables. All service people do wear them.

Also, I'm in New York where masks are no longer required for vaxed folks so that makes it more likely that there will be liars who pretend to be vaxed and go maskless. Many stores still require them.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, russ_watters and BillTre
Hi, kyphysics!
I got last saturday Janssen vaccine, but they told me to keep on wearing mask, maintain distance, avoid crowds...
I'm in Europe.

You're very much not alone. Lots of people are so used to wearing a mask and avoidance of crowds that it feels unnatural to go back to what used to be normal.

I'm fully vaccinated now and I find I'm very slowly relaxing around people in public but I still wear a mask and I'm still cautious. I read that there is a higher use of masks by vaccinated people than unvaccinated people. You can't know who is who. So I think I will continue to wear a mask in public for a while. Community spread has reduced but is still happening at a significant level. And vaccination is not a perfect shield.

But the other thing is that I am not just accustomed to wearing a mask. I actually like it. I wish everybody would wear mask all the time. Most people just aren't that attractive and a masked face is better looking. Just like clothes. Who wants to see everybody naked?

As for indoor dining, I've never been big on going to restaurants. I hate being waited on. I dislike the whole tipping thing. I prefer to buy fresh food and cook it myself. So I can live without indoor dining indefinitely. For me a better question would be when I'm willing to get on an airplane again. I don't know the answer but for sure not yet. Maybe later this year, maybe next year.

kyphysics said:
This is the one question I'm struggling with when it comes to post-vax activity. I'm fully vaxed and so are all of my loved ones.

I haven't returned to in-door dining yet, though. It still "feels weird" after abstaining for so long and I recognize that in those settings you have: a.) some people unvaxed; and b.) a relatively (to other settings) higher risk of virus transmission (with people removing masks to eat, touching table condiments, closed air circulation, etc.).

I know the risk of getting COVID and complications are super low for the vaxed. Yet, it still feels weird - maybe out of mental habit - to go to a place without my mask in-doors. I've gotten take-out before, but haven't dined in still. Wondering how fast others are returning to their pre-COVID routines since getting vaxed (esp. dining in-doors)?

Does anyone have fears or maybe just this weird "mental habit" that is hard to break (of avoiding crowds and always wearing a mask still)? I feel like I trained my brain to do certain things that are now hard to suddenly relax from. :smile:
I totally get this.

Mask social distance and hand washing still important, the vaccine alone is not enough. (See Chile https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-56731801)
We are at 57% first dose in the UK I am not relaxing till we are nearer 80%
When we reach point I still think I'll wear a mask in certain situations and carry one at least.
SARS was 2002ish? I saw a lot of Chinese people in Manchester wearing masks years after, young people.
I did not get it, now I do.

Worth noting for those outside of the US:

1. Canada is in the tail end of a 3rd wave of COVID-19 infections, which has forced many parts of the country (including my home province) under a strict lockdown. And thus no indoor dining options at all where I live. I believe indoor dining is available where my sister live (in eastern Quebec) however.

2. Canada currently has been able to vaccinate a little over 50% of the population on the first dose of COVID-19 vaccines, but there has been a deliberate strategy to postpone 2nd doses for up to 16 weeks to try and vaccinate as much people as possible with what used to be limited supply (which is now increasing substantially, due to steady shipments from Pfizer and catch-up supplies from Moderna).

3. I think it is unlikely that indoor dining will be an option for the duration of the summer here in my area of Ontario, Canada, until at least we have 75% of the people vaccinated in the 1st dose, and more people get the 2nd dose (which will likely happen between August and October of this year, based on the 16 week duration from first dose). Outdoor or patio dining is set to re-open in a few weeks in my area, from what I've heard.

4. I will not be partaking in indoor dining (even if it is available) until I receive my 2nd dose (currently scheduled for August).

I have been eating in any restaurant that is open for dine-in since about a year ago when some started. Those small businesses and their employees need as much support as they can get.

Likes 2milehi

1. How long after getting vaccinated can I return to dining out?

The timeline for returning to dining out after getting vaccinated depends on various factors such as the type of vaccine received, individual immune response, and the current level of COVID-19 cases in your area. Generally, it is advised to wait at least two weeks after receiving the full dose of the vaccine before returning to dining out.

2. Is it safe to dine out immediately after getting vaccinated?

While the vaccine provides a high level of protection against COVID-19, it is not 100% effective and it takes time for the body to build immunity. It is recommended to wait for at least two weeks after receiving the full dose of the vaccine before dining out to ensure maximum protection.

3. Can I still contract or transmit COVID-19 after getting vaccinated?

While the vaccines have been shown to be highly effective in preventing severe illness and death from COVID-19, there is still a possibility of contracting or transmitting the virus after getting vaccinated. It is important to continue following safety measures such as wearing a mask and practicing social distancing to protect yourself and others.

4. Do I need to continue following safety measures after getting vaccinated?

Yes, it is important to continue following safety measures even after getting vaccinated. This is because the vaccines do not provide 100% protection and it is still possible to contract or transmit the virus. Additionally, it is important to continue following safety measures to protect those who have not yet been vaccinated.

5. Is it safe to dine out if I am immunocompromised even after getting vaccinated?

While the vaccines have been shown to be safe and effective for most people, those with weakened immune systems may not have the same level of protection. It is recommended to consult with your healthcare provider before dining out if you are immunocompromised, and to continue following safety measures to protect yourself.