How good are this physics/engineering programs?

• Thread starter Frushe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between choosing a degree in physics or mechanical engineering. The speaker is considering studying at the University of Buenos Aires or ITBA and is seeking opinions on which program would be more competitive with top universities. The conversation includes a suggestion to speak with individuals who have completed these degrees and highlights the importance of the individual in their education. The speaker also shares their own opinion, suggesting that the individual's curiosity may be better suited for physics. The conversation concludes with a reminder to pursue whichever subject they choose thoroughly.
Frushe
Hello guys! How are you? So, as you may know, I am quite torn between physics and mechanical engineering. I decided that I probably will do both, as I am interested in both of them. I will study in the University of Buenos Aires or in ITBA. I want to know how good do this programs look as I will start my first career in the one which's program is more competitive with top level universities. Here is the link to the programs:

Mechanical Engineering UBA: http://www.fi.uba.ar/archivos/Actualizacion_2010_Plan_de_Estudios_Mecanica.pdf

Mechanical Engineering ITBA: http://itba.edu.ar/es/grado/estudiar-en-el-itba/ingenier%C3%ADa-mecánica Physics UBA: http://www.uba.ar/download/academicos/carreras/lic-csfisicas.pdf Your opinions will really help me and are greatly appreciate it. As I want my education to be the best I can possibly get!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Read your other post and tried to decipher the pamphlets from UBA and ITBA, but my spanish isn't good enough to get a good picture.
I'm a physicist, so don't expect a neutral answer from me. But if you want some advice: go around and find a few guys with the degrees you are considering. Talk to them and perhaps you discover that an education is only one factor. You yourself are the most important factor.

And now my (unreliable) answer: when I read your "I like physics because I question everything" my gut feeling is that your curiosity may be better put to good use in physics than in engineering. But that really is a guess.

And your ambition is no problem at all: you can help humanity by building a water well where there isn't one or by discovering a way to save energy making drinking water from seawater without using so much energy.

Ah, and: at a certain point distinctions between disciplines become very fuzzy. Interdisciplinary subjects are often very exciting too.

Whatever you pick, do it thoroughly.

1. How does this program compare to other physics/engineering programs?

This can vary depending on the specific program and its focus. It is important to research the curriculum, faculty, and resources offered by each program to determine how they compare.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates of this program?

This can also vary depending on the specific program and the current job market. It is important to research the job placement rates and industries that graduates of the program have entered to get a better understanding of the job prospects.

3. What type of research opportunities are available in this program?

Many physics and engineering programs offer research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. It is important to research the type of research being conducted and the faculty members involved to determine if it aligns with your interests.

4. Are there any notable alumni from this program?

Some programs may have notable alumni who have gone on to have successful careers in the field. Researching the alumni network and their accomplishments can give insight into the quality and success of the program.

5. How does this program prepare students for further education or graduate school?

If you are interested in pursuing further education after completing the program, it is important to research the success rates of students who have gone on to graduate school. Look into the acceptance rates and types of graduate programs that alumni have pursued to determine how well the program prepares students for advanced education.