How great is the tension of the wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter gemz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gemz
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
can anyone help me with this question.

A 1.6m long steel piano wire has a diameter of 0.2 cm. How great is the tension (in Newtons) in the wire if it stretches 0.3 cm when tightened ?

Assume an elastic modulus of steel = 2 x10^11 N/m^2)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I read the top were it says about showing your working that you do have.

I'm actually participating in a game not doing homework, it's a competition on an Australian Forum state versus state and I am the only person from my state so sometimes I need that little extra help and use helpful places like this.

Any help would be appreciated even a few steps in the right direction
 
Do you know Hookes law - The tension in a spring is directly proportional to the enlargement or compression. The string must be elastic and must be following Hookes law.