Tension of wire attached to 45-kg ball.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a solid ball is supported by a wire against a vertical frictionless wall. The task is to make a free body diagram and use it to find the tension in the wire and the force exerted by the ball on the wall. The solution involves using equilibrium equations and solving for the tension and angle, taking into account the full length of the wire and the diameter of the ball. After identifying and correcting a mistake in the calculations, the correct answer is obtained.
BlueQuark

Homework Statement

"A solid uniform 45-kg ball of diameter 32cm is supported against a verticle frictionless wall using a thin 30cm wire of negligible mass.

A)Make a free body diagram for the ball and use it to find the tension in the wire.
B)How hard does the ball push against the wall?[/B]

Homework Equations

##\sum(Fx) = 0##
##\sum(Fy) = 0##
##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

k7Npvhc.jpg

There is a picture of the situation.Here is another picture of my free body diagram.
WJJzm9A.jpg

Now, using the equilibrium equations, I got ##\sum(Fy) = -441.45 + TSinθ = 0##
So, ##Tsinθ = 441.45## (Newtons).

Now for the x components.
##\sum(Fx) = Tcosθ - N = 0##

So, ##Tcosθ = N##

Now I need to figure out what the angle is. The diameter of the sphere is 32cm, so the radius must be 16cm. The length of the wire is 30cm. I used the pythagorean theorem to find the height from the sphere to the wire.

##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
##256 + b^2 = 900##
##b^2 = 644##
##b = 25.38##

Now ##\arcsin(25.38/30) = 57.78 degrees##

This is where I start to have trouble. I figured I would find T by plugging that angle into ##Tsinθ = 441.45## and solving for T. This gave me an answer of 521.8 N. When I check the back of the book, the answer is actually 470 Newtons.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
BlueQuark said:

Homework Statement

"A solid uniform 45-kg ball of diameter 32cm is supported against a verticle frictionless wall using a thin 30cm wire of negligible mass.

A)Make a free body diagram for the ball and use it to find the tension in the wire.
B)How hard does the ball push against the wall?[/B]

Homework Equations

##\sum(Fx) = 0##
##\sum(Fy) = 0##
##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

k7Npvhc.jpg

There is a picture of the situation.Here is another picture of my free body diagram.
WJJzm9A.jpg

Now, using the equilibrium equations, I got ##\sum(Fy) = -441.45 + TSinθ = 0##
So, ##Tsinθ = 441.45## (Newtons).

Now for the x components.
##\sum(Fx) = Tcosθ - N = 0##

So, ##Tcosθ = N##

So far, so good.
Now I need to figure out what the angle is. The diameter of the sphere is 32cm, so the radius must be 16cm. The length of the wire is 30cm. I used the pythagorean theorem to find the height from the sphere to the wire.

##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
##256 + b^2 = 900##
##b^2 = 644##
##b = 25.38##

Now ##\arcsin(25.38/30) = 57.78 degrees##

This is where everything comes apart.

You should make a detailed sketch of the triangle you are trying to solve. Even looking at the picture from the book should give you a hint that your first equation,
##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
is wrong.

Take another close look at the geometry of the sphere and see if you can't come up with a different (and correct) relationship.

SteamKing said:
So far, so good.This is where everything comes apart.

You should make a detailed sketch of the triangle you are trying to solve. Even looking at the picture from the book should give you a hint that your first equation,
##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
is wrong.

Take another close look at the geometry of the sphere and see if you can't come up with a different (and correct) relationship.

Okay, I looked and found the mistake. The 30 cm hypotenuse only went from the top to the center of the ball. I should have added an extra 16 cm to it to go through the entire sphere. I got the right answer. Thank you for your help!

1. What is the formula for calculating the tension of a wire attached to a 45-kg ball?

The formula for calculating tension is T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does the weight of the ball affect the tension of the wire?

The weight of the ball directly affects the tension of the wire. As the weight of the ball increases, the tension in the wire also increases, following the formula T = mg.

3. What is the unit of measurement for tension?

The unit of measurement for tension is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. This unit represents the force applied to an object by a wire, rope, or cable.

4. Does the length of the wire impact the tension in this scenario?

Yes, the length of the wire does impact the tension in this scenario. The longer the wire, the more it will stretch and the greater the tension will be. This can be calculated using the formula T = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement.

5. How does the angle of the wire affect the tension in this situation?

The angle of the wire has a direct impact on the tension. The larger the angle, the greater the tension will be. This is because the weight of the ball is distributed across a larger area, resulting in a greater force on the wire.