1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of wire attached to 45-kg ball.

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A solid uniform 45-kg ball of diameter 32cm is supported against a verticle frictionless wall using a thin 30cm wire of negligible mass.

A)Make a free body diagram for the ball and use it to find the tension in the wire.
    B)How hard does the ball push against the wall?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\sum(Fx) = 0##
    ##\sum(Fy) = 0##
    ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    k7Npvhc.jpg
    There is a picture of the situation.

Here is another picture of my free body diagram.
    WJJzm9A.jpg

Now, using the equilibrium equations, I got ##\sum(Fy) = -441.45 + TSinθ = 0##
    So, ##Tsinθ = 441.45## (Newtons).

Now for the x components.
    ##\sum(Fx) = Tcosθ - N = 0##

So, ##Tcosθ = N##

Now I need to figure out what the angle is. The diameter of the sphere is 32cm, so the radius must be 16cm. The length of the wire is 30cm. I used the pythagorean theorem to find the height from the sphere to the wire.

##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
    ##256 + b^2 = 900##
    ##b^2 = 644##
    ##b = 25.38##

Now ##\arcsin(25.38/30) = 57.78 degrees##

This is where I start to have trouble. I figured I would find T by plugging that angle into ##Tsinθ = 441.45## and solving for T. This gave me an answer of 521.8 N. When I check the back of the book, the answer is actually 470 Newtons.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far, so good.
    This is where everything comes apart.

You should make a detailed sketch of the triangle you are trying to solve. Even looking at the picture from the book should give you a hint that your first equation,
    ##16^2 + b^2 = 30^2##
    is wrong.

Take another close look at the geometry of the sphere and see if you can't come up with a different (and correct) relationship.

4. Jun 12, 2016 #3
    Okay, I looked and found the mistake. The 30 cm hypotenuse only went from the top to the center of the ball. I should have added an extra 16 cm to it to go through the entire sphere. I got the right answer. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted