How hard is it to be accepted for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking about the difficulty of taking a Masters course at Cambridge in the mathematics part 3 tripos after finishing their undergraduate degree in Australia. They also ask about the difficulty of graduating with distinction and the possibility of being accepted for a PhD at Cambridge or Oxford. The other person advises them to focus on their studies instead of worrying about graduate school and points out their arrogance and need for validation. They also mention doing something original and not being discouraged by criticism.
Philosopher_k
Once i finish my undergrad in Australia, how hard would it be to take the masters course at cambridge, the mathematics part 3 tripos? Furthermore, how hard would it be to graduate with distinction?

This is of course assuming i am good enough at math and physics to graduate first at my univeristy and win the university medal (its an Australian thing).

I heard somewhere as long as you have first class honours in math they let you in?

Also, consider i fail to achieve distinction in this course and i don't get accepted for a phd in theoretical physics at cambridge or oxford, would a pass still look good applying for experimental physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please stop worrying about graduate school and work through your introductory geometry, topology, statistics, calculus, linear algebra, etc. courses before you dream about Cambridge.

Manage an A+ in all of them and you'll be fine for them taking a peek at your application.

Wait, why do you assume that an experimental group would be interested in an average theorist?

You're making too many threads. If you really want to go to the top schools, you ought to be studying, not posting on forum boards and dreaming about how much you want to be there.

Caramon, i read topology for breakfast. I allready have a high distinction in linear algebra and introductory geometry i did back in year 6.

Goodness, if you're so smart then why do you need our confirmation on how intelligent you are? Knock it off. Plenty of people here have done much more impressive things than you have, we don't go around telling everyone about it. All that does is show your level of insecurity. I'm not a person who likes to knock people down, but what you are doing now... hell, I bet you don't even realize you're being ironic.

If you read topology for breakfast then:
Design a Mobius strip, that when projected onto a 2-dimensional plane will not be solvable with Whitney tricks.

Lol Caramon i am not doing your homework for you.

I'd suggest you learn grammar first!

I sense troll-iness...

P-K: I suggest you do WORK! Do something original, post it up here, don't be discouraged if it is torn asunder, or else be very encouraged if it is praised.

Philosopher_k said:
Caramon, i read topology for breakfast. I allready have a high distinction in linear algebra and introductory geometry i did back in year 6.

Wow. You're level of arrogance is disgraceful. If you knew what was good for you, you'd drop this attitude. Fast.

1. How competitive is the admission process for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

The admission process for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos is highly competitive, with a limited number of spots available each year. Many applicants have exceptional academic backgrounds and strong letters of recommendation, making it a challenging process to be accepted.

2. What qualifications and requirements do I need to be accepted for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

To be accepted for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos, applicants are typically required to have completed a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, with a high level of achievement. In addition, strong mathematical aptitude, research potential, and fluency in English are important qualifications for admission.

3. Is there a specific GPA or grade requirement for acceptance into the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

While there is no specific GPA or grade requirement for acceptance into the Cambridge part 3 math tripos, applicants are expected to have a strong academic record and demonstrate exceptional mathematical abilities. Admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of an applicant's academic background, research potential, and personal characteristics.

4. Are there any additional application materials or tests required for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

In addition to academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement, applicants may be required to take the Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT) as part of the admissions process for the Cambridge part 3 math tripos. This test assesses candidates' mathematical ability and potential for success in the program.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted into the Cambridge part 3 math tripos?

To increase your chances of being accepted into the Cambridge part 3 math tripos, it is essential to have a strong academic record and demonstrate exceptional mathematical abilities. Additionally, seeking out research opportunities and obtaining strong letters of recommendation can also improve your chances of being accepted. It is also important to thoroughly prepare for the admissions process and the MAT if required.